Just ordered MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
I'll give you another little short cut that I found and LOVED and use all the time. I need to often grab small screen prints, but not the entire screen. For my work I need to just grab a small piece of the screen. On my windows machine I had to have third party software like Snagit in order to do this. On the Mac it's built in, just hit Command + Shift + 4. You'll get a crosshair with a bullseye. Just drag that over the area you want and it drops a jpg on your desktop. If you want the full screen then hit Command + shift +3.

OP
bluevision
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13.3", Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, HD 250GB - iPod Touch 64GB
Fiosfiend, that shortcut was awesome!!!

All, please keep the shortcuts coming. I am a keyboard person, so please don't keep all Mac keyboard shortcuts to yourself (LOL). I am beginning to really love this Macworld I am in!!!!!!!!!! Mac is awesome!!!!!!!!

OP
bluevision
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
somewhat brahmin

Ben, thanks!

OP
bluevision
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Music/Video converter

Hello again, I just want to say it again, my MBP is so awesome! I have finally switched all my data over to my MBP, yes!

Ok back to my question. I have a number of videos that will not play on my MBP. I would like to know before I purchase Quick Time Pro 7; is there a better music/video converter out there compatible with my MBP (intel)? Please advise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
Ok back to my question. I have a number of videos that will not play on my MBP. I would like to know before I purchase Quick Time Pro 7; is there a better music/video converter out there compatible with my MBP (intel)? Please advise.

Well what formats are you trying to play? VLC pretty much plays anything. And Flip4Mac will play .WMV files. A bit more info would help...

-Ben

OP
bluevision
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well what formats are you trying to play? VLC pretty much plays anything. And Flip4Mac will play .WMV files. A bit more info would help...

-Ben

The formats I currently have are .WMV and (i think) .AVI but my main question is not so much to play but convert to MP3 or MP4. See I have a 64GB iPod touch as well and would like to transfer videos back an forth from there too.

OP
bluevision
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bicycled the

VLC is what you want. It plays pretty much anything that quicktime or WMP will. Give it a try.

VLC media player for Mac OS X

And for converting to ipod you'll need Handbrake.

HandBrake

Ok, cool!

I have another question - on handbrake it asks for 32bit or 64bit. Where in the OSX 10.6 can I locate this information?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You need the 32bit version of HandBrake. The last time I checked the 64bit version of VLC wasn't available (been a week so may have changed).
Bottomline 64bit HandBrake won't work with 32bit VLC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, sorry should have mentioned that. You need to get the 32 bit versions of both.

OP
bluevision
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Razormac/Fiosfiend,

Thanks for all your support!

OP
bluevision
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
bluevision
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If at all possible can someone explain how to uninstall programs in OSX 10.6. :Oops:

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
As far as I know there are 3 basic ways to remove/uninstall programs.

1) The simplest is to drag the program icon from the folder it was installed in (usually Applications) to the trash. I understand this can sometimes leave files and garbage behind. BTW: Dragging from the dock only removes the desktop shortcut.

2) Is to use the uninstall app that came with your software (if there was one)

3) Is to use a 3rd party package like Appdelete. Haven't used it so don't have a recommendation there one way or another.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use a free program called AppCleaner.

AppCleaner

Just open it up, drag your application from the application folder to the AppCleaner window an Voila.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I like AppZapper. There's just something about the sound of lasers going off...>_>"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.