Opinion needed - I need to buy desktop

Reaction score
Hi, folks - my old pc is about to go to a better home :Evil: - it's now several years old and is a cranky beast, slow and unresponsive at times.

What do I use it for? Well, we have a small coffee shop and, in a moment of madness perhaps, I suggested we allow internet access. So random strangers surf the web; some days we can be quite busy with queues of people waiting to use the machine (I haven't even tackled wireless internet).

I also use the pc to edit photos (with an ancient copy of photoshop); some book-keeping tasks; some shop signage; general, run-of-the-mill stuff.

I would also like something which has the possibility of running a wireless security camera system and recording snapshots of the output.

I am completely confident a Mac would be the answer - but, not having owned a Mac for 10 years or so (Powermac 6500) - I really need some help getting up to speed on which one would be suitable for my requirements.

I don't have a huge budget - however, please feel free to spend some virtual money on my behalf and put forward your best recommendations for me!

Many thanks
Margaret

OP
T
Reaction score
Duh - I should've added that I have a Hanns flat screen monitor - I guess it would be Mac compatible?

I'm just starting to realise that my Mac knowledge is hopeless - I used to be an avid reader of MacUser and MacFormat so I guess I'm going to be subscribing to them again!

Margaret

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Sure, that monitor will do. I have one as well. It's just a matter of having the right number of pins in the connector. If they don't match, you just get an adapter.

You might want to check out your options for a refurbished Mac, to save some money. Look on Apple's website. Maybe someone else who has done that can direct you to the right place...

If available, go with an early generation Intel processor, not a G series (G3 G4 or G%) as it will last you longer in terms of software compatibility.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for that :) - A refurbished Mac sounds good. I had no idea that Apple were selling refurbished machines.

M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.