Automaticlly Generating List of Files in a Folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
Is there any way to make a list of files in a folder, and have the list automatically and continuously populate itself? i.e. List file (maybe an .xls file, for example) shows files A, B, C. When I add file D to the folder the list draws data from, D shows up in the file along with A, B, and C the next time I open the list file / refresh it.

Wasn't sure if there would be some combination of inputs or formulas in Excel or Numbers to accomplish this. Tried searching this forum; didn't find anything.

If that's not possible, not the end of the world. Just curious. Thanks for any help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Well... I am not sure if you can do that through Excel.

BUT, you can probably write a quick script with Python that when it runs it will save the output (File Names) into a text, maybe even an xls file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Mike, if you can do that, you are good! ;)

And clue us in on the solution, if you find one.

But, it's not too difficult to do a list. So when you need it updated, generate a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I believe you can do this using a custom Automator workflow or Applescript as a Folder action. I'm not at my Mac at the moment to experiment some, but here are a couple Google hits that may give some ideas. The first in particular details how to get a notification when a folder's contents are altered using a script. It should be simple to adapt that into the creation of a list.
Folder Actions - Get Notified When a File Is Added to a Folder
Force Folder Actions to notice changed files - Mac OS X Hints
Apple - Support - Discussions - Trigger Folder Action on File/Folder ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.