install problems

Reaction score
alright first off im new to this whole apple thing, next i have a ibook g3 dual usb. was running 10.3.9 which i atempted to upgrade to 10.4 from a disk which i aquired which was a bad copy. now i went on ebay and purchased the 16 disk install so i would know it was a good copy. now when i try to install it allows me to select the main language for the computer then it tells me i can not install this software on my computer then it tells me i have to restart. so like i said i new to this whole apple thing and i don't know what to do next any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance
andrew

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That is the message you get when attempting to install OS X from a disc(s) that shipped with a Mac. Those discs are system specific and will only install on another Mac with the same specs.

You will need a retail version of 10.4 to have any success installing it on your G3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And make sure you purchase a full retail install DVD or CD set. You will find the CD's very hard to find. Bet the discs you have purchased are silver grey and not black, and as our admin points out, they will not boot any other machine that the one they came with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Your problem is that the iBook is old. But, if you had the OS discs that came with it, or a retail version of Tiger or Panther, you'd be fine.

OP
A
Reaction score
yeah so i have the system specific cd's :-( i wrote the place i bought them from to see if i can return them, if not is there a way to get the system specific cds to work on a different machine and does anybody else thing its retarded that they would make two different sets of cds/dvds i mean come on how is a newbie supposed to know this crap, oh well life goes on and hopefully i can get this thing working write.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In fact there are dozens of different original system discs for the various models and an iMac G4 700MHz discs will not install on an iMac G4 1.25GHz. Rule of thumb is one set of discs for each of the various models as software is constantly updated. All the various model G4 PowerMacs, and there are about fifteen of them, all use different original install discs as operating systems, and security updates, changed.

eBay sellers, and others, know this and prey on those who don't which is why they market them under all different names, system discs, upgrade discs, drop in discs etc etc. Suggest come here first and ask what you do not know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
does anybody else thing its retarded that they would make two different sets of cds/dvds

No, not at all. In fact it's no more of a hinderance than Microsoft's use of product key "numbers"(and letters) to insure that a single disc cannot be installed on more than a single computer.

However, when it comes to the lack of correct punctuation and paragraphing, capitalization, mangled sentence structures, colloquialisms, misspelled word... ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.