How do I fix song order on iTunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 2.53 GHz Intel Processer, Nvidia 9400m
I know I am going to sound like an idiot with this question but how do I sort my tracks in iTunes. I am no new Mac user but only recently have I started getting my music from anywhere other then iTunes or a CD. I am experimenting in different places such as Audible, and what not and I have found that the song order in each album is screwed up. Sometimes the album image is slightly larger or smaller then the few songs on the album i bought on itunes but thats easily fixed. Anyway I have tried get info and chose the x out of x song but it stayed put how do i fix this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Column heading allows you to sort by Artist or Name (title) alphabetically, option-click the arrow head to reverse the order. Is that what you're after, or do you want to be able to set the order of songs manually, to suit your tastes?

I can find nothing in iTunes Prefs that allows manual sorting, but then I use an older version of the application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Are you saying that the songs are incorrectly tagged? If they come from a legitimate source that should never happen.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It happens from Audible on practically every multi-part book I download and I'm up to about 100 now. It'll put the different parts of the book in the order of 1,4,2,3 and such. And it's done the same since Tiger.

That's the first thing I have to fix on almost every book from them. I usually rename them... for example from 'abcxyz Part 1' to 'abcxyz:1' and add the 1 of 4 to the info to fix them. I have not figured out why, because their naming convention seems that it should work properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.