New Mac Book Pro - Keeping Software On Older Mac

Reaction score
I am getting a new MBP, however, I have software on my older Mac that I would like on my new MBP. Is there anyway to be able to use/transfer the programs if one has registered them online? Or does a new computer require a new installation disc and serial? Anyway I can install w/o original discs -My installation discs are at my parents home on the east coast, I recently moved to the west coast and don't have them with me. I can have them send them to me, but if my older computer is registered, can I register a new one?

After buying a new MBP, I can not afford to now go out and buy the software again! The software I am most concerned about having for work/school:

Microsoft Word

Final Draft

Final Cut Pro

Thanks in advance!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
You can remove the software from the old machine and install it on the new machine using the original disks, that's fine.

Reaction score
I migrated from my old macbookpro to my new 15" I7 using firewire and migration assistant and it migrated all of my apps over to the new machine for me and I didn't have to reinstall anything.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am getting a new MBP, however, I have software on my older Mac that I would like on my new MBP. Is there anyway to be able to use/transfer the programs if one has registered them online? Or does a new computer require a new installation disc and serial? Anyway I can install w/o original discs -My installation discs are at my parents home on the east coast, I recently moved to the west coast and don't have them with me. I can have them send them to me, but if my older computer is registered, can I register a new one?

After buying a new MBP, I can not afford to now go out and buy the software again! The software I am most concerned about having for work/school:

Microsoft Word

Final Draft

Final Cut Pro

Thanks in advance!!

You didn't tell us what:

- the specs. and model of your "older Mac"
- what are the versions of the software you listed.
- what OS version you're currently running on your older Mac

These are details that can help determine if your older software will run on the newer MBP you're thinking of purchasing.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
You didn't tell us what:

- the specs. and model of your "older Mac"
- what are the versions of the software you listed.
- what OS version you're currently running on your older Mac

These are details that can help determine if your older software will run on the newer MBP you're thinking of purchasing.

HTH,

- Nick

I've already purchased the new 15 inch 2.66GHz Intel Core i7 online.

- PowerBook G4. 1.5 GHz owerPCG4. Version 10.5.8
- Final Cut Pro 7, Microsoft Office 2008 ver 12.1.7, Final Draft 7
- OS X Leopard

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Oops, I read the post that the original Mac was on the opposite coast, not the installation disks.

In that case, you can use the migration assistant as mentioned.

OP
D
Reaction score
awesome, I'm very relieved! I was worried I was not going to be able to transfer the programs, instead, it sounds easy and painless! Very happy, thank you all for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.