Can't watch embedded videos in Safari on external screen

Reaction score
Hi,

First post on the forum.

I have a three year old white MacBook, using OSX 10.6.3, and am using a mini DVI - VGA adapter to connect an external monitor to it. I also use a mini DVI - HDMI adapter to connect the MacBook to my TV.
Some days ago i realized that I no longer could watch embedded videos, like Youtube, on the external screens using Safari.
Either the area where the movie is supposed to play remains black, or it freezes during the first frame. Sound keeps rolling though.

I tried out Firefox and discovered that the problem didn't appear there. I haven't done anything special with Safari that could be the reason for this. I do have Glimmer Blocker, but it's turned off.

Anyone have an idea what could be the cause of this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi,

First post on the forum.

I have a three year old white MacBook, using OSX 10.6.3, and am using a mini DVI - VGA adapter to connect an external monitor to it. I also use a mini DVI - HDMI adapter to connect the MacBook to my TV.
Some days ago i realized that I no longer could watch embedded videos, like Youtube, on the external screens using Safari.
Either the area where the movie is supposed to play remains black, or it freezes during the first frame. Sound keeps rolling though.

I tried out Firefox and discovered that the problem didn't appear there. I haven't done anything special with Safari that could be the reason for this. I do have Glimmer Blocker, but it's turned off.

Anyone have an idea what could be the cause of this?

I would start by removing GlimmerBlocker completely just to be certain that there's no chance it isn't the problem, disabled or not. If it isn't, reinstalling it is no biggie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If you are trying to run them in Quick Time X then have a look in Applications/Utilities and open Quick Time 7 - they will probably run in that OK

OP
I
Reaction score
Hi again.
Thanks for your replies.

Uninstalled GlimmerBlocker but it didn't help.

Don't quite understand how to open the Youtube videos in QT. Used "Open URL" and pasted the adress, but that didn't work.

Maybe I should just uninstall and reinstall Safari.
Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Forget the QT comment - i did not read your post correctly. How did u uninstall GlimmerBlocker?
You could try installing this to see if it helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.