• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

.mov playback issue on mac..

Reaction score
Hey,

I've transferred some footage I filmed (DVCPRO HD 1080i50) from a mac at uni to my own mac.

The files play fine on the mac's at uni, however, they won't play on my mac! In quicktime, they just play the audio, and in VLC both audio and video play, but the video is very laggy!

How come the mac's at uni will play the .mov files fine in QT, but my mac won't? Am I missing a plug in or codec?

Any help is gratefull received :)

Jamie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
My magic wand failed to give an answer. So did my magic 8 ball.

Both QuickTime player and VLC have information windows that can tell you the codecs being used. You need to investigate that to see what audio and video codecs are being used and report back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I have to agree with XStep, missing info makes it hard to determine where the real problem lies.

If I had to guess, I'd also agree with XStep that it's a codec problem. Command+I in VLC/Quicktime is your friend :)

You may also want to try out playing it back in Movist - although it may not work any better, it couldn't hurt to try - it's played things for me smoothly when VLC wouldn't.

OP
D
Reaction score
I tried movist and it works fine! Thank you!

But still, any ideas why Quicktime or VLC wont support it, even though the mac I took it off did?

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
My guess - the other Mac had a codec pack that allowed the file to be played in quicktime. This codec pack was either a codec installed with Final Cut Studio (as dvh is a DV codec, possibly DVCProHD - this would be supported on a system having FCS installed) - the other possibility is that the other system has perian and perian supports many codecs that are playable via ffmpeg. (ffmpeg includes support for DVH5, although I don't know if Perian implements that support or not).

OP
D
Reaction score
Well, issue resolved!

First, i downloaded movist as suggested, videos play fine :) So thank you for that.

Then, I got FCP from the uni, and now the videos play fine in quicktime :) So you were right about the codec being from FCP.

So, nothing more to say other than thank you for all your help and suggestions :)

Jamie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.