Opinions on iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
I'm still considering getting an iPad. I have played with the displays at Best Buy. The display unit seem to be something that I would enjoy using around the house and maybe a little bit away from home with wifi hot spots. My basic uses are e-mail, web browsing, itunes, some light office work and I would like to be able to use it for Keynote presentation in a small group class I lead. I would probably use it to read books with the Kindle apt that I already use on my BlackBerry and computers.

Is the iPad heavy to hold while reading books?

How well does the Keynote app work during presentations?

One of the places I would use it the most is in the love-seat recliner while watching TV with my wife. That is where I use my laptop the most. It would be nice to have something a little smaller the my MacBook to use this way. That is where my MacBook gets 90% of it's usage.

In most of the threads I have read, most users seems to like the iPad.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
To be honest, I don't think I have ever held a book up in the air while reading, so I can't complain about holding the ipad up, even though I don't find it to be heavy at all.
Keynote, I'm not sure about, but pages works real well! I actually love to do the reclining while chilling…lol…thing too. I just put netflix on, put my feet up, and place the ipad on my lap…works pretty well…until I find myself waking up the next morning.
The only problem I notice is that it's a pretty nice fingerprint magnet! Though, I will admit, I don't always have dry hands, but when I do, fingerprints seem to appear less. I ordered a screen that apparently seems to be a little resistant to fingerprints.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
It's a little on the heavy side if you're holding it with one hand (say standing on a train), but otherwise it's OK when seated.

iWork is awful on the iPad - the demos look nice, but honestly it's just horrible. OfficeHD is much better and even Sundry Notes is a nicer experience. Keynote is the best of the bunch, but you'd actually be better off converting your slide show to PDF and using good reader or OfficeHD to do the slides.

All in all, I really like my iPad, I carry it almost everywhere. I mostly use the ABC player, iTunes video and Netflix for watching content - it's just great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook5,2, iPad 16 gb, iPhone 3GS 32 gb, Iphone 4
I use keynote to do small presentations with medical students in a group of 2-3. It works great for imagesabd charts, but the text is too hard to read.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use keynote to do small presentations with medical students in a group of 2-3. It works great for imagesabd charts, but the text is too hard to read.

How does it work when connected to a projector?

Thanks

Reaction score
you cannot connect the iPad to a projector -- he's using it as a small projector I believe. I've run powerpoint (through virtual desktop) on an iPad as a test, and I think in a small group around a conf table it would be very useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
False, you most certainly can hook up an iPad to a projector via the VGA adapter for the iPad. Works wonderfully with Keynote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PC Baby!
I don't hold it up in the air to read, so weight is not an issue. My opinion is if mine was stolen I would speed to the Apple store to replace it.

Reaction score
My ipad is heavy to hold while reading (whereas the kindle feels just right to hold in my hands). But....the ipad is great to put on a stand and read in landscape orientation.

There is a vga connector for presos if you want to use a projector.

My favorite use of my ipad is watching video. The resolution and video quality in the video player is better than anything I have seen in that size. I watched a couple of movies on a flight from nyc to LA and it was a wonderful experience. Video looks great on the ipad

The safari browser on the ipad is a bit annoying. I think that a full function desktop-style browser is needed for the ipad and i am sure that one will come out soon.

Games are cool on the ipad. I play scrabble on it with friends all the time, and I also love the new ipad version of Civilization that was optimized for the ipad. It is much easier to play than the iphone version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
My ipad is heavy to hold while reading (whereas the kindle feels just right to hold in my hands). But....the ipad is great to put on a stand and read in landscape orientation.

There is a vga connector for presos if you want to use a projector.

My favorite use of my ipad is watching video. The resolution and video quality in the video player is better than anything I have seen in that size. I watched a couple of movies on a flight from nyc to LA and it was a wonderful experience. Video looks great on the ipad

The safari browser on the ipad is a bit annoying. I think that a full function desktop-style browser is needed for the ipad and i am sure that one will come out soon.

Games are cool on the ipad. I play scrabble on it with friends all the time, and I also love the new ipad version of Civilization that was optimized for the ipad. It is much easier to play than the iphone version.

You should try Atomic browser. I think it's a bit better than safari, though I still end up using safari all the time because I have gotten too used to it.

I had problems with my vga adapter(not really a problem, more so a lack of ability). You can't use the adapter as a mirroring device, so anything you expect to watch through the vga adapter, it better be completed(such as some movies, or presentations), since you can't create/edit while in that mode because you can't touch the ipads screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 1TB HD | ATI Radeon 4670 256MB | iPhone (1st gen)
I dont know anything about keynotes, but I absolutely love my iPad. Loving iBooks, no more book lights that hurt my eyes (which are already bad as it is lol). Though, I enjoy the books I just love goofing off with silly apps as well. The weight I have no issue with I've gotten used to how it feels and whats comfy when using it :) Definitely use it way more than my hubby's MacBook.

Reaction score
You should try Atomic browser. I think it's a bit better than safari, though I still end up using safari all the time because I have gotten too used to it.

I had problems with my vga adapter(not really a problem, more so a lack of ability). You can't use the adapter as a mirroring device, so anything you expect to watch through the vga adapter, it better be completed(such as some movies, or presentations), since you can't create/edit while in that mode because you can't touch the ipads screen.

I had the same issue with the vga adapter too, no editing on the fly. I downloaded a remote desktop type of app (iteleport) that allows me to run macbook pro software on the ipad and if you need to edit while presenting you can do it that way by running the preso on your computer and logging into the computer remotely via your ipad. I presented a slide show that way where I changed the photos on the fly....

Thanks for the browser tip! I will try atomic.

Reaction score
Probably the second most useful device I own, after my iPhone. Love it. Reading on it is a joy.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the replies.

Reaction score
False, you most certainly can hook up an iPad to a projector via the VGA adapter for the iPad. Works wonderfully with Keynote.

my bad -- info based on my IT guy's input on the test iPad we were looking at when they first came out.

Reaction score
I love my iPad. Everyone says it's just a giant iphone, but it's really not. It's great for travelling and watching movies, browsing the web because of the great battery life

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.