Tough decision!!!Should I buy powerbook?

I

ifspring

Hi.guys,I am going to buy a powerbook,but seems like apple will not be the real apple any more since all mac will switch to Intel cpu after 2007.If I buy now,how about future software suuport for PowerPc architechture?If I wait,A apple with a Intel cpu,kind of crappy laptop like Dell,feel weird.How you guys thinking?Need sugesstions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
get the powerbook there will be support with the software well into the future. the new powerbooks will not feel like a crappy dell? Sorry i did not understand that question.

OP
I

ifspring

PowerBookG4 said:
get the powerbook there will be support with the software well into the future. the new powerbooks will not feel like a crappy dell? Sorry i did not understand that question.

I mean if apple has Intel cpu that almost all current laptop models have, all problems (virus, frequently crash,.....) also will haunt new apple. If this happen,apple will become crappy.

OP
I

iMe

ifspring said:
I mean if apple has Intel cpu that almost all current laptop models have, all problems (virus, frequently crash,.....) also will haunt new apple. If this happen,apple will become crappy.
I dont think so.....OS X Tiger is whats keeping viruses from penetrating the computer. Not the chip Apple is using.

OP
I

ifspring

iMe said:
I dont think so.....OS X Tiger is whats keeping viruses from penetrating the computer. Not the chip Apple is using.

How about if people using windows on new apple(I think this is stupid,but Jobs allowing this)? All good anti-virus reputation of apple will become history.

OP
C

Cloudane

Go for it. It'll be long after 2007 before software support really settles down to the Intel platform IMO... just look at how long it take for the majority of OS 9 software to finally be ported to OS X. This port will be easier, but still...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
ifspring said:
How about if people using windows on new apple(I think this is stupid,but Jobs allowing this)? All good anti-virus reputation of apple will become history.
Not true. As stated before, if windows does work on Apple hardware, Apple will not be supporting it. It will be up to M$ to resolve virus issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
rman said:
Not true. As stated before, if windows does work on Apple hardware, Apple will not be supporting it. It will be up to M$ to resolve virus issues.

This is true. Its not like apple is coming standard with windows installed on it. The only way windows will get on an apple is if somebody installs it on their system on their own time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
ifspring said:

Negative. If you know anything about computers it's the OS that makes a PC susceptable to virii, NOT the CPU chip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
ifspring said:

Support will not be offered by Apple to those wishing to purchase an Apple just to put Windows on it. What's the use? Neither will drivers be made by Apple for Windows to use the Apple hardware design.

Again, see my previous post - if Windows were to run on Apple hardware, it would be the OS that gets the virus. When a Windows user (who owns a Dell or Gateway) gets a virus, the PC manufacturer isn't at blame, but then again I wouldn't be too quick to blame the OS. If the computer user gets a virus, it's their own fault, you savvy guys know what I'm talking about - you own a PC (omg!), you get a virus, and you start kicking yourself because you realize it was because you just reinstalled NortonAV and forgot the latest updates, or perhaps the latest security patch, or disabled Automatic Update. You blame Microsoft for the "swiss-cheese-like" operating system and fix the problem. :)

OP
E

ejwolf

This is true. Its not like apple is coming standard with windows installed on it. The only way windows will get on an apple is if somebody installs it on their system on their own time.

Rumor has it (and I believe it) that Apple is designing the chips/motherboard so that it is very difficult for someone to install windows on an Apple machine. Only a small number of hackers will be able to do this ... but it's not even worth it ... every person I've ever known that switched from a PC to Mac prefers OS X over Windows by far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.