Booting from backup (USB2 Ext) by CCC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo - 1GB RAM - 10.6 SL & Powermac G4 - 1.8GHz Sonnet Dual Processor
Hey folks,
Made a complete backup of system last night in order to restore just incase it all goes **** up.

I used CCC and it copied it all to my usb2 external, I held the C button down with the device plugged in on starting, it made the apple startup noise, it then eventually when to a black screen with white writing, saying something about 9 errors, or bad removal or something :(

My hdd was erased first is disk utility before using CCC, and still has some space left.
Why won't it boot :(?

MACBOOK 2.0ghz
INTEL.

Cheers
Alex

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo - 1GB RAM - 10.6 SL & Powermac G4 - 1.8GHz Sonnet Dual Processor
I decided to wipe my external and backup again just incase, the external USB2 hdd was formatted with Disk utility to Mac os (Journalled) *excuse lack of decent information and spelling, i've been up all night fixing my desktop pc!

C letter button? or C (command apple logo button)?

anything else?
Cheers
Alex

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RESULT!
Well I managed to boot off my external with the CMD button, on the dashboard it had the external positioned at the top and the Mac HDD at the bottom (opposite way) So I assume that meant it was running off USB!?

Next question,
With snow leopard, Erase all or upgrade?

Cheers
Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Keys to remember for the Mac;
Hold C key after power on to boot off disk - DVD/CD
Hold T key after power on to start in Target Mode - turns computer into a virtual HD
Hold Option (alt for some) to have the choice which OS to boot off eg Ext HD

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mercí Beaucoup :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Keys to remember for the Mac;
Hold C key after power on to boot off disk - DVD/CD
Hold T key after power on to start in Target Mode - turns computer into a virtual HD
Hold Option (alt for some) to have the choice which OS to boot off eg Ext HD

To expand on what Colin said:

You shiuld look at this link
Startup key combinations for Intel-based Macs
It says many more useful start up sommands.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.