Question for long time mac owners

Reaction score
Hi i am thinking of purchasing a mac because i am going to be a student soon and according my older sister who has had a mac for a few years i would be better of with a mac than a gaming PC. So i was wondering if i run a mac on a windows operating system will it have the same gaming capabilities as a PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Actually, I think you mean run a Windows OS on a Mac. And, I think the answer is yes. Although I don't do it, I've seen this question answered in the affirmative by others.

Reaction score
It will if you install Windows on it via Boot Camp. Please see the stickies at the top of the forum. That will allow you to boot into Windows and run it as a Windows machine. it will have the same gaming capability as a Windows PC with the same hardware.

Reaction score
If you are into gaming, then you can run bootcamp and install Windows to run natively on the Mac.

However, you are limited to what Apple has to offer with their machines. You don't have many video card choices like when you custom spec and build your own machine.

If I was seriously into gaming, this would be a huge problem for me. It's much easier to tweak and get maximum performance from a custom built PC than any mac. Most gamers want every ounce of performance from their systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
If you are into gaming, then you can run bootcamp and install Windows to run natively on the Mac.

However, you are limited to what Apple has to offer with their machines. You don't have many video card choices like when you custom spec and build your own machine.

If I was seriously into gaming, this would be a huge problem for me. It's much easier to tweak and get maximum performance from a custom built PC than any mac. Most gamers want every ounce of performance from their systems.

I think you just pointed out the critical item any gamer needs to be aware of.

While I can run windows games on my macbook pro, it is only because it has a fairly high end video card in it... my plain jane macbook will not run games worth a flip due to its rather pathetic video card.

Moreover, when you get a mac you generally don't have any way of upping the video card that it comes with... I think if I were a rabid gamer I would stick with a PC... custom if it were a desktop or maybe alienware for a laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53GHz Intel
If you want to play games stick with a PC, being able to upgrade the video card is great and saves so much money.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.