Need help for switching to Mac from PC !

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Well I am another newbie wanting to replace my PC for an Macbook Pro for College !
Now I may sound dumb as I am TOTALLY new to mac, but these are the questions I have :

1. Can you partition your Mac Hard Drive like Windows say now I have 4 partitions C:, D:, E:, F: I want to maintain them this way :

◙ Mac OS on C:
◙ All Softwares I buy will be installed on D: like say I will require to purchase Matlab and a few toolboxes, Photoshop CS5, Office 2008 etc. Well I even don't know how to install and uninstall software in Mac.
◙ E: and F: should just be there for storing data.

2. I have seen all the videos provided by Apple but I think thats not enough, I you can point me to some good sites.

3. Also provide your recommendations on which software I must buy as mandatory to get my work done. I have already planned to buy Flox :D and CleanMyMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well if you really want inside information you should be looking at the "missing manual" series of books. And in particular the snow leopard one.

Also these are a few Apple links you should look into:

Apple - Mac OS X - Windows Compatibility - How Mac works with PCs
Apple - Support - Boot Camp
Apple - Mac OS X - What is Mac OS X - Time Machine
Apple - Support - Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard Time Machine
Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Refining the user experience

So to answer your questions.

1. Yes you can but you don't have to. The system structure in OS X is different to windows. But you can partition your Hard drive as many times as you want to. Use the "Disk Utility" Application for all partitioning you need to do apart from your Windows partition, use "bootcamp for creating and removing that partition".

2. I recommend the book I said at the top of my post. It is better then most if not all of the how to mac sites I've seen. It's well worth getting. I an half tempted to get it myself. As it is great for everyone. Pros and new to mac pepole alike.

3. Yes I can provide you with some links to some useful OS X software. You can just download the ones you feel are necessary to you. I'm sure there is a lot more useful OS X software out there. I just pointed out a small selection of ones I know a lot of people use all the time. And most if not all of this list is free software

Onyx
Titanium Software
A good maintainance tool for OS X. It does the same job as CleanMyMac. And it is a free application. I have used both and prefer Onyx. But both do the job.

Perian
Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components
Allows you to play many different video formats in OS X

Mactracker
Mactracker
Database of every Mac product ever released with system specs. And often updated. Very useful information there

VLC
VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player
Nice quicktime alternative. I hardly ever use it but some others swear by it.

Aduim
Adium - Download
Very nice multichat client

Appzapper
AppZapper - The uninstaller Apple forgot.
Cleanapp
Synium
Both of these are excellent application uninstallers. Helps you rid yourself of the little hard to find files assoicated with applications. I prefer Appzapper. But some prefer Cleanapp. Both do roughly the same job though.

Disk inventory
Disk Inventory X
Nice graphical representation of the data on your hard drive. Nice easy way to see what is hogging space on your hard drive.

Firefox
Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable | Mozilla Europe
Opera
Opera browser | Faster & safer internet | Free download
2 internet browsers. A 3rd one "Safari" comes with OS X. And having 3 ineternet browsers is always nice to have on hand.

istart pro
iStat Pro, a Dashboard Widget by iSlayer
This is a dashbord widget. and according to the website "iStat Pro is a highly configurable widget that lets you monitor every aspect of your Mac, including CPU, memory, disks, network, battery, temperatures, fans, load & uptime and processes."
So it's very ncie to have.

The Unarchiver
The Unarchiver
Decompresses copressed file formats liek .zip and .sit and .rar and is way better then the adobe stuffit expander. This is a nice app.

UnrarX
UnRarX - Mac OS X RAR Extraction Utility
With "The Unarchiver" this app would seem pointless to get. But it can do one thing "The Unarchiver can not". It can decompress passworded .rar archives. I need that functionality so I have the app. But it's your choice. Well it is a free app "UnrarX" so it's only a few MB to have it.

And lastly here are a few points you need to consider.
Installing software on OS X (The Mac's operationg system) is just clicking of the installer for the application and then it takes you through a simple installation process. And 99% of software for OS X works like this. It's pretty easy really.

Yes you can use windows as well as OS X on your Macbook Pro you want to buy. But remember you buy the Adobe CS5 products for OS X. As in get the Mac versions fo them. Sure you can use the windows versions of them on windows on your Mac if you wan to. But the whole point of getting a Mac is for it's lovely oeprating system. And best get the version that allows to stay in the Mac operating system.

I would think about Office 2008 (for Mac) right away and not jist blindly do it. For 2 reasons.
1. Apple has a cheaper alternative called "iwork".
http://www.apple.com/iwork/
And this is a suite of 3 applications.
Pages which is similar to Word.
Numbers which is similar to excel
Keynote which is similar to powerpoint.
Personally I much prefer the Apple iwork to Office 2008. But others prefer Office 2008. It's a personal prefrence I guess. But if you choose Office 2008 just remember to get the Mac-OS X version and not windows vesion.

2. Office 2011 is in development. So if you really need Office now and iwork is not your thing the get Office 2008 now. But if you can wait then Office 2011 might be better. Mind you I think Office 2011 is still in early development so it'll be a while before release i think.

OP
Jeet
Reaction score
You are great the8thark :D I will be waiting for Office 2011 I have seen some preview videos of it on YouTube and I have seen that Office 2008 doesn't look as good as on my Windows :(
Thanks, I will tell you and for now I will study the links and books you mentioned O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
VLC
VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player
Nice quicktime alternative. I hardly ever use it but some others swear by it.

VLC has gotten exceptionally buggy lately and I really hate using it. However, the team is developing a new front-end for VLC designed for OS X called Lunettes that, while currently still a little lacking in some features, is proving for me to be much more stable. When fully developed, this will likely be the player of choice. I highly recommend checking it out.

The Unarchiver
The Unarchiver
Decompresses copressed file formats liek .zip and .sit and .rar and is way better then the adobe stuffit expander. This is a nice app.

UnrarX
UnRarX - Mac OS X RAR Extraction Utility
With "The Unarchiver" this app would seem pointless to get. But it can do one thing "The Unarchiver can not". It can decompress passworded .rar archives. I need that functionality so I have the app. But it's your choice. Well it is a free app "UnrarX" so it's only a few MB to have it.

Uh... I use The Unarchiver and when it tries to decompress a passworded .rar file, it prompts me for the password, which I provide and then it happily goes on to decompress it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
OP
Jeet
Reaction score
I know I am being silly, can you please tell me that can I relocate the Applications Folder to a partition of my choice in the main Mac hard disk, say I make four partitions one named Macintosh HD , one Programs, one Data, one Stuff ( Just for naming purpose ) and I wanna copy all contents of the Applications folder to Programs partition. Is that possible? :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know I am being silly, can you please tell me that can I relocate the Applications Folder to a partition of my choice in the main Mac hard disk, say I make four partitions one named Macintosh HD , one Programs, one Data, one Stuff ( Just for naming purpose ) and I wanna copy all contents of the Applications folder to Programs partition. Is that possible? :eek:

Most apps will work fine from wherever you put them. Some, many of Apple's apps in particular, will NOT work properly outside of /Applications. Some apps that work in conjunction with other apps also must be in /Applications. Why would you want a special partition just for applications? I can't even begin to think of a practical reason to do that.

OP
Jeet
Reaction score
Most apps will work fine from wherever you put them. Some, many of Apple's apps in particular, will NOT work properly outside of /Applications. Some apps that work in conjunction with other apps also must be in /Applications. Why would you want a special partition just for applications? I can't even begin to think of a practical reason to do that.

You won't naturally understand unless you are an avid Windows user I know it's different on Mac but I got my answer it's Possible. Let the default apps be in their folder natively I make a Partition for my CS5 suite and Matlab gotcha that is why I am planning to make 4 different partitions and that's also my primary reason for getting myself a Mac. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You won't naturally understand unless you are an avid Windows user I know it's different on Mac but I got my answer it's Possible. Let the default apps be in their folder natively I make a Partition for my CS5 suite and Matlab gotcha that is why I am planning to make 4 different partitions and that's also my primary reason for getting myself a Mac. :)

Don't be so presumptuous. :p I used to be an avid Windows user, built my own PCs, and was active in the troubleshooting community for years, and only switched to OS X a few years ago. I see no practical reason to do it in Windows or OS X. None, zero, nada. But if it floats your boat, have at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

Which MBP are you looking at? If you are partitioning because you're concerned about performance with all those apps, you can put your fears aside. 4gb RAM, adequate free space on your HDD (10% or 15% free), and ANY of the processors available for the MBPs will more than suffice.
I'm really trying to wrap my brain around the "4 partitions" thing. :Confused:
Not trying to bust your B@77$. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most apps will work fine from wherever you put them. Some, many of Apple's apps in particular, will NOT work properly outside of /Applications.

He does have a good point there. A while back I tried to use Adobe CS4 outside of the applications folder. And it just didn't work. But there is a solution. On OS X you can make aliases of Applications and put them wherever you want, to access the application.

An OS X alias is similar to a Windows shortcut. Except you can put the Alias wherever you want. And it's perfect for you cause you can use the Alias/shurtcut wherever you want when the Application itself really shouldn't be moved from the Aplications folder.

You can use most Apps in other partitions just fine but a few are picky and like to be in the Applications folder. You'll find out soon enough as you use OS X which are the few picky Applications. And for those just use Alises.

And for you as you are new to OS X I would really invest in an external hard drive. They are pretty cheap these days. And learn up on how to use that drive with Time Machine to back up your data. Why I say this is say you screw something up cause you're only new to OS X, you'll know there is no permament damage because you have all of your data backed up. And this backed up data can easily be retrieved. It's all about peace of mind for the user, which is you in this case.

OP
Jeet
Reaction score
Which MBP are you looking at? If you are partitioning because you're concerned about performance with all those apps, you can put your fears aside. 4gb RAM, adequate free space on your HDD (10% or 15% free), and ANY of the processors available for the MBPs will more than suffice.
I'm really trying to wrap my brain around the "4 partitions" thing. :Confused:
Not trying to bust your B@77$. :D

Hackers sp3ak eh !!! I am looking at the costliest MBP with 8 gigs of ram and core i7 2.66 ghz proccy. Getting great discounts as a student been to Apple Store today :D

actuall $ partitions is not for me for some family abd university dealings but it sails my boat O:)

OP
Jeet
Reaction score
He does have a good point there. A while back I tried to use Adobe CS4 outside of the applications folder. And it just didn't work. But there is a solution. On OS X you can make aliases of Applications and put them wherever you want, to access the application.

An OS X alias is similar to a Windows shortcut. Except you can put the Alias wherever you want. And it's perfect for you cause you can use the Alias/shurtcut wherever you want when the Application itself really shouldn't be moved from the Aplications folder.

You can use most Apps in other partitions just fine but a few are picky and like to be in the Applications folder. You'll find out soon enough as you use OS X which are the few picky Applications. And for those just use Alises.

And for you as you are new to OS X I would really invest in an external hard drive. They are pretty cheap these days. And learn up on how to use that drive with Time Machine to back up your data. Why I say this is say you screw something up cause you're only new to OS X, you'll know there is no permament damage because you have all of your data backed up. And this backed up data can easily be retrieved. It's all about peace of mind for the user, which is you in this case.

You got me the8thark. And assume Adobe CS% design premium full suite ( it's mandatory for college ) and add to it Matlab and 12 toolboxes of matlab. yeah I have thought about a pre mac formatted External HD. So Photoshop needs to stay in apps folder. let us see what matlab and the rest needs :Oops:

OP
Jeet
Reaction score
So as far as I could get Mac manages all applications in it's application folder and can sail smooth. So 2 partitions should suffice. But I was wondering ( correct me if wrong ) is it absolutely necessary to keep my music and photos in the Apple made folders ( Home Folders ) of the OS drive? ( alias My Document) Can I just delete them and keep them in the second partition? I mean if I do that will it be viewable to iPhoto and the like? :eek: Clear my ideas, all.

OP
Jeet
Reaction score
Look Guys, What I found : Link

How to Move the Home Folder in OS X – and Why

Someone, who can be identified as Darwin9 in the chat room, sent me a “How to Move the Home Folder in OS X Leopard.” I hadn’t done it yet, but it’s something that I was hoping to do for my next installation.

Click on ‘Macintosh HD’ in the Finder and open the ‘Users’ folder. In here you will find a folder named after your shortname. This is your home folder. As it is currently your active home folder it will have a ‘house’ icon assigned to it. Copy this folder to the 2nd hardrive by simply dragging it (moving files / folders to a 2nd volume in OS X only copies the content, it doesn’t remove it from its original location). Note: The copied folder will not have the ‘house’ icon as it is not yet recognized as you active home folder. We will change this in the following steps.
Open the ‘System Preferences’ application from either the Dock, the Applications folder or from the Apple menu.
Click on the ‘Accounts’ icon in the ‘System’ section.
After entering your password to unlock the padlock, CTL-Click (or right click if you have this enabled for your mouse) on the active admin account (from the list of user accounts in the left pane) to reveal an ‘Advanced Options’ contextual menu. Select this item.
You will be presented with a pane full of advanced settings (and also a warning about how you should only change these settings if you know what you are doing!). Ignore all of these settings except for the ‘Home Directory’ option. This is the path that OS X uses to locate your home folder when you login. It should say: /Users/shortname
Click on the ‘Choose’ button, and browse to the home folder in the new location (this will be the folder you moved in Step 1 which will be named after your shortname). After you select the new location, the ‘Home directory’ path should change to something like: /Volumes/shortname.
OS X will continue to use the original home folder until you restart. So restart the computer and login as normal. To confirm that the new home folder is now active, browse to the folder you copied to the 2nd hardrive and check it has the ‘house’ icon assigned to it. Now that your home folder is successfully located on your 2nd drive, you can delete the original home folder in the Users folder. It should now have a generic folder icon as it is no longer the active home folder.
Why would you bother to move your ‘Home’ folder at all? For the same reason why I recommend you keep your ‘My Documents’ folder on a completely separate hard drive. It’s just easier to manage should something happen to your OS or primary drive. Scott added, in a follow-up email:

Everything will work just the same as normal, it’s all transparent to the user. The only difference will be that all of the stuff inside your home folder (Desktop, Documents, Downloads Pictures, Music, Movies, etc.) will actually be kept on the 2nd drive instead of on the 1st (boot drive).

This is great if you ever have to reinstall OS X, you can erase the 1st boot drive, reinstall OS X, and perform steps 2 – 7 again and you’ll be back up and running with all of your stuff in the home folder untouched! You don’t need to perform step 1 because the home folder is already on the 2nd drive at this point. You will have to install Applications and set Global and System Preferences again though as i will explain below.

All you have to understand is that OS X uses 4 distinct folders: Applications, Library, System and Users. The first 3 all have to remain on the 1st boot drive – Applications and its contents all have their permissions set to allow the System to read and write to them, so this is where you should keep ALL applications.

The Library is where all Admin level files are kept. These are files that effect every user globally like system preferences, and there permissions are set to only allow Admin users access to change things in here.

And the System folder is just that… it’s for the System only and you should very rarely have to change anything in this folder. Even if you try to mess with this folder as an Admin account holder, you will most likely be denied or asked to authenticate, because the System owns most of the files in here.

The 4th folder Users, includes a dedicated folder for each user (named after the shortname) that has been setup in OS X (This is the folder we located to the 2nd drive). All of your user files and folders and kept in here. Everything in this folder has the permissions set to allow only that individual user access to it. So the (User) Library folder in here is very similar to the (Admin) Library mentioned above, except that its contents are specific to only the user in question.

This means preferences that are specific to your personal stuff are kept in here. So things like custom application preferences, email accounts, user installed screen-savers, fonts, plug-ins and codecs, and your Desktop picture, Finder and Dock settings etc.

You could get away with changing the location of your home folder whenever you want probably, not just after the initial install. I warn against it because if something goes wrong it is effortless to start again in the beginning.

But OS X will handle moving your home folder just fine if you follow the steps I gave each time. If your wondering why it doesn’t break links between applications and preferences etc, its because OS X uses Directory Services to keep a central database of all users and the locations of their home folders etc in one place. When applications and preferences try to perform user specific actions, it all flows through Directory Services – So if you keep the database up to date by following the steps I provided, OS X will always know where everything is! ;)

OP
Jeet
Reaction score
The Guy above has really got a point when it comes to system re-installation. Great !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Sorry, but he's crazy. You can install OS X without touching your home folder, even if they're on the same partition. There is no need to do anything like that.

Jeet, I can tell you're dead set on doing this. It's a bad idea, it's a waste of your time, and it will probably cause you headaches in the future, but you're beyond help.

OP
Jeet
Reaction score
Sorry, but he's crazy. You can install OS X without touching your home folder, even if they're on the same partition. There is no need to do anything like that.

Jeet, I can tell you're dead set on doing this. It's a bad idea, it's a waste of your time, and it will probably cause you headaches in the future, but you're beyond help.

Please explain yourself technologist as you know I am completely new to Mac I have got no idea whatsoever. Your inputs would be highly appreciated I would learn too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as I know OS X links up the home folder and your basic system settings. As a lot of them are stored in the home folder. Well it's more the placement and name of the home folder. If you change the name of the hoem folder or move it, then OS X looks in the place for a home folder with a certain name. It does not find it there with the right name and assumes you have no home foler.

And having no home folder like this causes a whole world of issues. Basically contained to any setting pertaining to that aprticular account will either not work or will not be saved when you turn off your Mac. In short you can fiddle wth the contents of the home folder if you really know what you're doing. But do not move and do not rename the home folder. It is one of the few things in OS X like this. And for a very good reason too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.