12" PowerBook G4; hard-drive failure?

K

KANYON527

I own a 12" PowerBook G4 and yesterday I believe the hard-drive must have gone bad. I left it running for a few minutes, and when I came back, it was frozen, and when I restarted it, it sounded like the hard-drive was making sounds and the computer wouldn't run correctly. It would sometimes boot up and the OS would start, but every few seconds, it would make some clicking sounds and the computer wouldn't respond for a moment or two.

I have my receipt, but it was purchased on April 10th, 2004. I don't have AppleCare, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what I should do. Can Apple still service my laptop for a charge or am I on my own to get it repaired? Is there any chance Apple will service it under warrany despite the fact that it is two months beyond the warranty period?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
they will not service it on warraenty because it is past its warranty period. You can still get it serviced for charge by apple any way. A new hardrive will not be cheap but it won't be as expensive as some other parts, In my expeirece hard drives cost $80-150

OP
K

KANYON527

PowerBookG4 said:
they will not service it on warraenty because it is past its warranty period. You can still get it serviced for charge by apple any way. A new hardrive will not be cheap but it won't be as expensive as some other parts, In my expeirece hard drives cost $80-150

Thanks for taking the time to respond; I appreciate your input.

As it pertains to Apple performing repair-work on the computer, do you know how I would inquire as to the cost and procedure involved? I visited the Apple website, but unfortunately I wasn't able to locate any information other than the AppleCare service (which I no longer qualify for).

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
no problem

did you call apple up and tell them what is wrong, they could be able to tell you how much it cost, and how long it will take to get it fixed, you may need to ship it out to them or you might be able to bring it to the apple store depending on how difficult it would be, I am guessing with a powerbook hard drive problem you will have to ship it out.

OP
P

padrote

it will cost you $335.97 if you have apple repair it. same thing happened to me this weekend.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.