Installing windows 7 via boot camp

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Installing windows via boot camp must be one of the most painful things I have done recently. Watched endless youtube tutorials on how to do it and they all seem very straight forward indeed! My problem comes after partitioning and then selecting which drive location to save it too. I select the BOOTCAMP drive as it says on the tutorials, but get error saying cant save to drive must be NTFS format which it is from the earlier partition via boot camp assistant. Then i tried formatting it, via drive options. This time when you select the drive and press next you get and error saying "windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error: 0x80300024. I have done exactly as it tells you too and there is nothing about this error in any of the tutorials I have seen or read. I have to say this is driving me a little bit crazy to say the least!

Running Leopard 10.5.8 MacPro, Bay 1 is 320GB Western Digital, Bay 2 is Western Digital 1TB (the one I'm try to install to)

Any help or advice would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note: Move to appropriate forum.

It sounds like you skipped a step. The formatting process in Windows 7 is a bit cryptic and less apparent than it was when setting up XP. Once the partition has been created by Boot Camp and the machine reboots with the Windows 7 DVD, it should take you to a screen where you can now select the partition to install Windows 7 on.

Naturally you want to select drive c "Boot Camp". After selecting it, there is another step where you must select it again and format it. The only format option is NTFS. I suspect this is the step that wasn't completed.

It might be best for you to start over with the Boot Camp assistant again.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.