My iPad screen has a scratch!!??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06ghz 4gb ram 1tb hdd, 15" Macbook Pro 320gb HDD 4gb ram, iPhone 4 32gb, and iPad 3G 64gb
I'm always really careful with any Apple products I get and I have no idea how it got there, but there is a 1 cm long scratch in the upper middle portion of my screen. I've talked to some people and they say that it's to deep to polish out (I can feel it with my finger). Should I get a screen protector now? It's not really that noticeable while using the device unless for some reason you're right under a bright light, but still it's really annoying. Anyone else have any scratches?

Reaction score
I would definitely not try to polish it out due to the damage that could be done to the screen while doing so with all the technology packed in there.

However, I would definitely invest in a screen protector now. On one of my old iPod Touches, a screen protector "filled in" a couple small scratches I had on the screen to the point where I could never notice them. 1 cm seems pretty small, but a screen protector may help cover it up so you can't even feel it and it will also prevent new scratches.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06ghz 4gb ram 1tb hdd, 15" Macbook Pro 320gb HDD 4gb ram, iPhone 4 32gb, and iPad 3G 64gb
Yeah I've decided against polishing it due to the potential damage. I'm going to buy a screen protector but I don't know whether to go glossy or matte. I would think the matte would cover up the scratch for the most part but the glossy will keep that crystal clear resolution. Any particular brands I should look into as well?

Reaction score
Personally, I suggest ZAGG's invisibleSHIELD or RadTech's ClearCal. You can find short reviews of both on my blog.

Hope it helps!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I really like the RadTech anti-glare protector. One of the easier ones to put on that I've used. Went from having to clean the screen every half hour to about once every few days. Videos still look great. Friends and family that see it are still impressed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I have had several Palm devices over the years and always put on a protective shield. Never found the need so far with my iPhone, but the iPad is so much larger.

The only problem is that I always ended up with a few little bubbles I could not get rid of. This was not too much of a problem with the tiny screen on my Treo, or even the slightly larger ones on the T5 and TX, but with an iPad?

How do you get the protectors to fix in place without bubbles? :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Unfortunately, there are PLENTY of people, especially on THIS forum, who keep on saying that the ipad/itouch/iphone screens are scratch proof…THEY ARE NOT! They, in fact, can easily be scratched to the point that you have no idea how it even got there. Don't listen to anyone who says you don't need a screen cover, If you don't want scratches, PUT ONE ON, and don't listen to what everyone says. After all, this is GLASS! Even diamonds aren't scratch proof! I have the same screen protector on order that bobtomay has, been reading some decent reviews on it. I also ordered one for my MBP.

Nighthawk4,
How do you get the protectors to fix in place without bubbles?
-Take your time, go slowly. The static/silicone screen protectors don't leave air bubbles unless you don't clean the screen enough, which leaves dust particles, which make it seem like there is an air bubble, when in fact, it's a stuck dust particle.

Reaction score
I'm always really careful with any Apple products I get and I have no idea how it got there, but there is a 1 cm long scratch in the upper middle portion of my screen. I've talked to some people and they say that it's to deep to polish out (I can feel it with my finger). Should I get a screen protector now? It's not really that noticeable while using the device unless for some reason you're right under a bright light, but still it's really annoying. Anyone else have any scratches?

People have reported varying degrees of success with rubber pencil erasers ("erasing" the slight scratch off) and toothpaste (polishing very gently the scratch). However, I must add a disclaimer that these methods have been tested on passive LCD touchscreens and NOT capacitive touchscreen.

You may try "filling" the scratch with a water-based petroleum gel. If you are happy with the result then protect your screen with a screen protector. Otherwise, just try using a screen protector which is known to cover over minor scratches.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are PLENTY of people, especially on THIS forum, who keep on saying that the ipad/itouch/iphone screens are scratch proof…THEY ARE NOT! They, in fact, can easily be scratched to the point that you have no idea how it even got there. Don't listen to anyone who says you don't need a screen cover, If you don't want scratches, PUT ONE ON, and don't listen to what everyone says. After all, this is GLASS! Even diamonds aren't scratch proof! I have the same screen protector on order that bobtomay has, been reading some decent reviews on it. I also ordered one for my MBP.
I guess I'm confused by your statement that it's "easily scratched" when I've watched the videos of people intentionally trying to scratch it and not being able to do it.

I know that glass can scratch, I have a very expensive watch with a scratched crystal on my wrist right now. But I'm not sure I'd use the word "easily" to describe it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro with 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3, 500GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm, HiRes AntiGla
I have an anti glare protector on my iPad and I love it. Not only does it not smudge as much and reduces glare, but, i think it makes the resolution look crisper. I always thought the same thing with the anti glare on my iphone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I guess I'm confused by your statement that it's "easily scratched" when I've watched the videos of people intentionally trying to scratch it and not being able to do it.

I know that glass can scratch, I have a very expensive watch with a scratched crystal on my wrist right now. But I'm not sure I'd use the word "easily" to describe it.

I don't care what you do with your ipad, just don't go telling people that they DON'T need a screen cover, by saying that is is scratch proof, because the truth is that it isn't! Simple as that!

Reaction score
I don't have one but I'm thinking about it. In theory, you shouldn't need one as it is covered with a case except for when you are touching it with your finger. Unlike the iPhone, it won't be in a pocket with keys.

Reaction score
I don't care what you do with your ipad, just don't go telling people that they DON'T need a screen cover, by saying that is is scratch proof, because the truth is that it isn't! Simple as that!
Did you actually read my post that you quoted? I didn't tell anyone that they do or don't need a screen cover and I never said it was scratch proof.

But you're the one that said it was "easily scratched" so I wanted to know how you came to that conclusion. It seems like your statement is just as much an exaggeration as the "scratch proof" claim.

I certainly don't want anyone, anywhere to ever get a scratch on their iPad, especially ME. I have always used the Power Support Crystal films on my iPhones because my iPhone gets thrown in my pocket with keys as mentioned. But I haven't put one on my iPad yet and was debating about it. Obviously it's nice for peace of mind, but if it's always in the iPad case, I'm not sure it's actually necessary with the iPad.

Now, if someone can tell us HOW they managed to accidentally scratch their iPad, then that would be useful info.

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a screen protector but I'm concerned that it will affect the clarity. I've been watching HD video using the ABC app and it is absolutely razor sharp. I'd hate to lose that, but would hate to get a scratch even worse.

If you're happy with your screen protector what kind is it?

Reaction score
Return it

If your really upset you can return your iPad and pay a small fee and buy a new one

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got a new one

So I finally made it to an Apple store since there isn't one around me for about 1:30 drive. Made a genius bar appointment and after waiting about 25 min. after said time I finally got called. Showed the guy the scratch said they couldn't do anything except replace it with a whole new device. 10 minutes later he comes walking out with a brand new ipad wifi + 3g 64gb and I ask if it's covered in my warranty. He said "no but whatever" and handed me the new device and took the old one....free of charge. In case you're wondering this is the apple store in Boca Raton, Florida. I'm keeping the new device in the original plastic until my front and back invisishield protectors come. Great success!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Wow - that is amazing :eek:

Anyone in the UK able to advise on which model of protective screen is best please, preferably together with where it is obtainable in UK?

I don't want to end up with bubbles or an unresponsive screen, but not sure if the Solihull Branch of Apple is as helpful as the Boca Raton one :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.