• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Yet another reason why I love my Macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
sarahsboy18 said:
By the way... I finally got that PC laptop finished around noon today.... Oh well, that install should last two or three weeks before it fills up with junk and has to be reformatted again.

LOL, So true, windows systems dont' last long.

E

Ey3 D

The thing I don't get is why? I mean why go through all that just to get your computer started up? I mean jeez that is insane. Still don't get why we even use PCs at my school: the only thing that we do is some Photoshop, Flash, browse the net and the younger kids play young aged educational games. But the funniest part about the whole PC thing was that one day (this was recently) were on Flash, and we were supposed to make this dude walking. We made something awesome, and, being a Mac user, I am not used to crashes. So we didn't save and next thing ya know: computer completely freezes! We lose all of it and have to restart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
That is both sad and funny at the same time. ::laughs::

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Beatles4Life, you have been away for a while. Good to see you back. :)

A

amyrinth

And this is why I am on Mac. I dealt with Windows ME (Which is a ****ed up version of 98, pardon my language) for three years. I spent more time getting it away from the blue screen then I actually did on my HW.

Reaction score
That's too funny...being a windows user for 23 years out of the 25 that I've lived, I can relate fully to everyone here. Now that I'm on a mac...all is well. But sadly, the horrors are all coming back to me since I now run a CD MBP with boot camp...and xp. Yes. There are a few programs that I still need. Rarely, but need none the less. *sigh*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I did reinstalls all the time on XP. It was rarely under 4 hours (for the initial install, SP2 and then all the apps) . . . I resented restarting after SP2, then restarting again after the first lot of updates and then again for all the apps I was installing . . . and on . . . and on . . . and on . . .

Although you do have to restart OS X after an OS update. I've ran Kubuntu for a couple of years and never had to restart ever . . . not even when upgrading the OS to a new version. I think Apple should try and do that for Leopard. The most you ever have to do on Kubuntu is restart the X server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
A few questions:

3. Install Norton Antivirus, reboot, update NAV, reboot, run update again, reboot, run update for third time.

Why all the reboots and updates?? I've never used anti-virus software with my PC, and never had a virus, so I don't understand.

4. Run Windows Update... first run the updater update... reboot, then run update again get service pack 2, reboot, run it again to get WM9, reboot, run it again to update one more of the apps (i forget which one), reboot, run it again to update remaining drivers and apps, reboot.

Why updates before SP2? If your version was SP2 to begin with, wouldn't need to install it. I've never had to reboot and update as many times as you mention. If the Laptop came with Win SP1, it must be very old and it's commendable that it's still running after so long.

And now... Finally... we are ready to start installing actual software, oh yeah... I forgot... after I find and install the drivers for the ethernet, modem, audio, etc.

You would have to install software on OSX also unless you only use the package stuff, which I doubt. Why did you have to install all the drivers? I've never had to do that with any PC I've ever owned.

I would estimate that no more than 1-1 1/2 hours to reinstall everything for any time I've done it on a PC. Maybe you're just slow at it and confused since you only use Macs.

And for some reason this stupid POS hangs every time it reboots... And I can't just hold down the power button... I have to unplug it and pull the battery.

That must be some kind of serious hardware issue, not Windows.

Firefox Opens "This program has suddenly quit, would you like to send an error report...."

Funny, I had to force quit Firefox 2 times today on my MBP before my fan rev'd out of control and blew the whole thing up!

Oh well, that install should last two or three weeks before it fills up with junk and has to be reformatted again.

If that's true, your friend really needs to learn how to use a computer. I had my PC for 4 years, never had a virus, never had a hardware problem.

And by the way, why are you doing all this for your "friend"?? Make them do it so they learn something.

I don't know how much more of this I can take before this thing becomes a target down at the rifle range. (That's how we fix PCs in Texas)

I don't think your "friend" you like you shooting your, er, I mean "his" PC

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.