USB Bluetooth dongle for iMac G5?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5, MacBook, iPhone 4, iPad
Ok I have done some plundering and searching through to make sure I wasn't asking an already answered question, and "USB, BLUETOOTH and DONGLE" are all VERY popular words used on this forum (obviously). But What I am trying to figure out, is if there is a certain bluetooth dongle I can buy for my iMac G5 so that I can use my wireless mighty mouse and keyboard, and I will eventually buy the magic mouse. So is there any suggestions as too what bluetooth dongle works the best, or some that work enough to use my periphs. cause I know you guys with some of the older macs as well are using these from reading a few of the threads I went through. Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this a 17" or 20"? Reason I ask is some 1.8Ghz iMac G5s had bluetooth included. Trying to figure which machine you have.

Have you checked to be sure you have no Bluetooth?

I will look around also and see if I can find an OSX compatible USB Bluetooth dongle.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the iMac 20" 1.8Ghz but I have checked my system profiler on it, and it says N/A or something along those lines when you check for bluetooth, and I clicked on every tab and it didn't have anything saying there was bluetooth, and I have the latest 10.4 out I think its 10.4.11? I may be wrong. But this iMac doesn't have Airport either so.. im not sure.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks for the info. You have this iMac G5.

iMac G5 (2004)

Both Airport Extreme and Bluetooth were optional on that first generation iMac G5 you have.

So do you also need a WiFi Dongle or are you going to just hardwire it to the router?

I will see what I can find for you dongle wise.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I am hardwire and it will most likely stay that way, it is always nice to have the luxury of Aiport, in possible Wifi needed situations, but the only way I would be worried about Wifi is if I got the original OEM card installed, I have SOOO many external hard drives, and iPods, and flash drives, and phones and all that crap hooked to my system on a regular basis that giving up more than 1 USB port for something that wouldnt be used every day seems pointless to me, I am already having to buy a new USB Hub lol cause 7 ports isnt enough.
So if I could get my hands on the aiport/bluetooth card for the iMac g5 can I install it or does it have to be soldered in? Theres one on eBay for like 13 bucks for the aiport/bluetooth card for an iMac G5. Cause I found a couple of dongles by dlink and kensington that are osx compatible but I just cant see myself spending 40 dollars when all the ones on eBay are under 10?? lol call me cheap but jeeez.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a warning. The A1126 is not for your first gen iMac G5. It's for the 1.9 and 2.1 Ghz iSight models, Mac Mini G4 and iBook G4 1.33.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh glad you pointed that out, I wish I wasn't at work so I could pull some model numbers off my iMac. And then the A1115 card is for 2006 models right? What are these iMac G5 1.8GHz WiFi and Bluetooth Cable I have never heard of this?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the official Apple Service Manual for your machine. Searched and it uses a regular Airport Extreme card that plugs in and the Bluetooth is a separate module. I will search and see what I can find. The Airport Extreme cards can be easily found but not sure about that Bluetooth module.

Here is what they look like in the machine.

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 2.jpg

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright I appreciate all the help, what ever info you find is appreciated. I opened the iMac up a couple of days ago and was trying to see if there was somewhere an airport or bluetooth card would go, but never saw one, maybe it was hidden or I just didn't look hard enough. Thanks +REP for you bro

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are any of these better then the next? I see some of them have different model numbers. And thatll be all I need huh? Seems like a basic install, or am I wrong?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.