The new MacBook Pros

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" quad-core iMac, 8GB RAM, 2TB HD...15" MBP w/ 4GB RAM...etc.
I noticed they use built-in batteries now. I have the previous generation (15.4").

My question is what happens when the built-in battery begins to loose it's ability to hold a charge? My current MBP is at less than 50% capacity. So I have less than 50% of the runtime I did when it was new. Obviously. Would the new MBP become "throw away laptops"?

It's nice to have the longer runtimes but if you can't replace the battery...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Apple will replace it for you. The installation is included in the price of a new battery.

Or, if you'd rather, you can replace it yourself simply by removing the bottom of the case. It's actually such a simple process, one has to wonder why they don't just allow the user to do it.

Another important point to make is that the typical battery is good for about 300 load cycles. Apple claims their built-in batteries are good for 1000, so more than 3 times the life of a standard battery.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. If it is replaceable (either by an Apple Store or yourself) why do they call it "built-in"? How is it different from how they've been putting together Apple laptops previously?

Having more usage out of the new "setup" (I'm guessing they are just using a higher capacity battery with more mAh).

Now if only Apple would offer their 13" MBP with an i7 quad core chip and the same discrete gfx card as the higher end MBP. Then I'd order one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Or, if you'd rather, you can replace it yourself simply by removing the bottom of the case. It's actually such a simple process, one has to wonder why they don't just allow the user to do it.

The answer I think is quite simple, yet overlooked at times. At first I didn't understand it either, but now it kind of makes sense to me. Apple have upped their "green" game, and in doing so, they've required people to bring their dead batteries in so that (and here's the reason) they can be recycled.

Most people will likely just toss the battery away somewhere if they decide to change it out themselves, rather than be responsible and take it to a proper facility which will dispose of it in a proper fashion. Plus, if Apple gets their own batteries back, it saves them money in the long run, as they can re-use the materials for other products or new batteries later on.

Doug

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. If it is replaceable (either by an Apple Store or yourself) why do they call it "built-in"? How is it different from how they've been putting together Apple laptops previously?

The older batteries were latched and externally accessible. The "fixed" batteries require minor disassembly to remove. Apple claims that designing them this way enables them to be more flexible with the design of the internal components since they don't need to work around having an external "bay" for the battery.

Having more usage out of the new "setup" (I'm guessing they are just using a higher capacity battery with more mAh).

They do have a higher mAh rating, but that doesn't dictate the cycle count. Apparently the batteries have special chemistry (I believe they refer to them as Lithium Polymer instead of Lithium Ion).

Now if only Apple would offer their 13" MBP with an i7 quad core chip and the same discrete gfx card as the higher end MBP. Then I'd order one.

Agreed. I would even consider it with the i5.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The answer I think is quite simple, yet overlooked at times. At first I didn't understand it either, but now it kind of makes sense to me. Apple have upped their "green" game, and in doing so, they've required people to bring their dead batteries in so that (and here's the reason) they can be recycled.

Most people will likely just toss the battery away somewhere if they decide to change it out themselves, rather than be responsible and take it to a proper facility which will dispose of it in a proper fashion. Plus, if Apple gets their own batteries back, it saves them money in the long run, as they can re-use the materials for other products or new batteries later on.

Doug

That does make sense. Thankfully it doesn't appear too terribly difficult to remove, since they didn't use special security screws to hold it in place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
From what I read the battery was able to be made larger without adding to the weight
by removing the access door type battery.

Reaction score

The Dual i-cores won't cool efficiently in a 13-inch enclosure let alone the Quad core chip. This is one reason Apple didn't put the i3 processor in the new 13" MBP. But I do feel you though, I used to have the 13" unibody MBP and it was super portable.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks guys. I asked out of curiosity. Not sure if I will buy another MBP. Not that I'm not happy with my current 15.4" MBP. I am. Perhaps when Apple stops providing the batteries. Which I hope they never do. I guess it depends how focused they are about being green. Though I suppose there will always be 3rd-party providers of batteries for previous generation (w/ battery bay) laptops.

Cya around the forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.