use cyberduck to ftp files between users?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
Hi all,

So have a hosted website with a 4 GB limit on space, and I'd like to be able to use that as an ftp server for sending/receiving files between myself and family/friends/colleagues.

I'm now using wordpress for my blog, so I mainly deal with a browser based interface these days, although I used to the built in FTP client that came with dreamweaver a few years ago. I have cyberduck, and know how to login to my server and transfer files, but there still seem to be several hurdles (perhaps conceptual) between me and my goal.

I can upload files to a folder called "files" on the root directory of my blog, and then go to a browser and type www.my_blog.net/files/the_file_name.pdf and the files downloads. Or I can go to www.my_blog.net/files/ and click on the files I want to download. However, anyone could access these files; I'd like to give my friends/family and user name and password which they would need to access this directory. Also, It'd be cool if they could use their user name and password to upload files they want to send to me, but at the same time be restricted to that directory, so the couldn't change or delete files on the rest of my blog. So that's my first question.

Second, should they use a free ftp client of their own, or just their browser?

Maybe someone could point me to a tutorial that's already out there. The documentation on cyberduck's site seems either over my head or not directly relevant to what I'm trying to do.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Can you create more than one FTP account on your Hosting providers server? Many services will let you have one FTP account on a basic package but bigger packages usually have more accounts available. You should also be able to set which directory they have access to. I did this for a business once and it worked great

On the client side, it is really their choice on what they use but Cyberduck is one option.

OP
riverteeth
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
Thanks, yea they let me do that, and now I have it figured out. It can be done through the control panel of my site.

Now that I've tried Filezilla, that seems like a more advanced tool, so I think I'll be going with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.