help me build my macbook :O)

Reaction score
hi guys,

ive decided to make the switch to mac (im hopeing i can get my head round using one):Grimmace:

i want to purchase a really good laptop that works well for me. i use the internet alot (facebook ect) i have lots of music and photos and videos. i used to produce music and im thinking of starting again. i would have to transfer lots of files from old laptops and hard drives. :Grimmace:

i am thinking of purchasing a 15inch macbook pro with 500g hard drive and upgrading 4g ram to 8g ram for extra speed. (i hear its cheaper to do yourself but a bit worried about warranties ect)

im thinking of purchasing logic and moving my old cuebase files over to it (if this is possible) and maybe some software for djing (organising tracks, recording demos ect)

i am aware it is going to cost me alot of money, but i have scrapped some money together as i want a nice laptop/mobile studio. i will also have an amp and speakers/monitors to play loud music (hopefully the macbook has audio output)

am i on the right line? any help would be great about what to buy before i spend my hard earnt pennies, im not sure where to buy or what to buy yet.

thanks in advance for any help :D

danny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome danny and yes you are on the right line. For all hardware upgrades i highly recommend you go some place other than  as they charge you a premium to do so.
My recommendation and im sure others will agree, is go to OWC - Macsales.
I live in Aust and could not be happier with the USA based company. There customer service is 2nd to none and they test all there hardware to ensure it is kosher for your Mac. Good luck and welcome to the Realm of the Mac ;)

Cheers

OP
danny taz
Reaction score
thanks mate

i will check out that link, i live in london uk, although i am in thailand half of every year competing in my sport. i hear you get charged tax ordering straight from the us though :(

was thinking of buying in england and getting some sort of tutorial and help with installation of all my files and of logic hopefully, im being told they do this for free! but im not sure where.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
Hey, I think the best bet is to go to the Apple Store. There is one in Regent St, and one at the new Westfield out near Shepards Bush. Then you can test drive a machine and pic what is best for you. And like TM said, shop at a place like OWC or NewEgg to get yourself memory upgrades and hard drive upgrades. Then you can also book a meeting with an Apple "expert" at one of Apple Stores, which will help you explain everything relating to your Mac.

Also, if you are a student, you can get over £100 off. Look on the Apple website in the Education store tosee the discounts. You might also want to look at a Refurbished Mac, which will save you some cash too.

All the best pal,

-Ben

OP
danny taz
Reaction score
thanks Ben,
i think this is my best move. ive seen the huge store at regence street before. i can raise any queries with them there. im still in asia competeing at the moment, i have 1 fight in bangkok then im home to london early june, my first day back i will go to the store! i cant wait!
ive been told also to get a firewire to pull samples quickly also.
is there no-where cheaper to buy a macbook than apple store? i want brand new, not a refurb. 15inch 500g 8ram, with reason studio. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
thanks Ben,
i think this is my best move. ive seen the huge store at regence street before. i can raise any queries with them there. im still in asia competeing at the moment, i have 1 fight in bangkok then im home to london early june, my first day back i will go to the store! i cant wait!
ive been told also to get a firewire to pull samples quickly also.
is there no-where cheaper to buy a macbook than apple store? i want brand new, not a refurb. 15inch 500g 8ram, with reason studio. :D

Hey,

I think you'll find it's just best to buy direct from Apple. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they will stock memory instore and they will upgrade your memory right at the Apple Store. Then you can go to the "Genius Bar" at the Apple Store and they can go through things like the OS with you. Also get them to explain AppleCare to you, if you want to purchase that too...

Good luck mate,

-Ben

Reaction score
You probably will pay sales tax buying from the U.S, BUT, you mention using it as a mobile studio, so if you can put it down as a business expense i would recommend you do, then any sales tax (or at least part of) can be claimed back from the inland revenue.

OP
danny taz
Reaction score
thanks guys, yes ill buy in england to avoid tax, ill be back there middle of june. i wont let them put ram in for me though as they will charge alot in comparisson to me doing it, changing ram is usually an easy enough task, but ill have to see if it effects warranty or cover!

i cant wait! i wonder if they do any offers or bundles of such where you get logic for free. i like origional copies, im not a fan of pirate coppies as they bring trouble with them. logic studio is very expensive though!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.