Installing hard drive in legacy mac

Reaction score
What's the procedure for adding a second hard drive (slave) to a Mac 7300? The new drive was the master for another legacy product, Mac 9600 (Power PC.)

After installing the drive into the 7300, it wouldn't boot properly. And given my limited knowledge of Mac software (OS 8.1), no doubt I'm doing something incorrectly.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reaction score
What's the procedure for adding a second hard drive (slave) to a Mac 7300? The new drive was the master for another legacy product, Mac 9600 (Power PC.)

After installing the drive into the 7300, it wouldn't boot properly. And given my limited knowledge of Mac software (OS 8.1), no doubt I'm doing something incorrectly.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

You have to change the jumper on the second SCSI HD. There on the bottom and are marked with ID numbers or letters. Move the jumper to the next position to make it (slave). You should only run an active system folder on the start up drive not the second. Put the system folder of the second drive in the Extensions disabled folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.