Installed Shapeshifter, Mac Mini won't boot

Reaction score
Hi. I just installed shapeshifter by unsanity on my mac mini, running Tiger 10.4.1. After installation , it required a restart, which I did. After restarting though, all I can see is my desktop, with no icons, menu bar or dock. I can move my mouse around, but that's it. Tried restarting again, but no dice. I'm new to the mac, so I'm not sure if there's any kind of "safe" mode like on the pc where I can go in and uninstall the shapeshifter program. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin

OP
K
Reaction score
No. And it's not just the dock that isn't there, the menu bar and HD icons also aren't there. Just a blank desktop with a mouse. Was working fine before the Shapeshifter install.

Reaction score
first thing I would look at is system/pref/ appearance

Sorry i know thats not much help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Try booting up with your utilities disk, or you might need to do a clean install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
are you sure you installed the correct version of shapeshifter? you can hold shift during start up to boot into safe boot mode.
and double posting is not allowed.

OP
K
Reaction score
Pretty sure, yeah. DL'd version 2.1 from the Unsanity website. Says it's for os x version 10.2 or newer. Looks like it's the most recente version. Once I boot in safe mode, do I just go to my applications folder and drag shapeshifter to the trash to uninstall it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
You do that and then use spotlight to swearch for shapeshifter and remove any other things it put in your system. .plist files ect and prefs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
theres a newer version just for tiger. once in safe mode, do a search for it, it should be in mac hd>users>your username>library>application enhancers>, but do a search and delete ALL related items to be sure its gone.

OP
K
Reaction score
Well, safe boot wouldn't even work, but I was able to load the OSX install disc by holding down the option key and restarting the mini. After repairing the disc and repairing permissions, I was able to get it to boot up, and Shapeshifter is working now. Not sure what caused the problem. Thanks for the help!

Kevin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.