I think my iPod is shot...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
:eek:neye: I accidentally dropped my iPod in my kids kiddie pool!
It's probably shot huh?
I shook it out rapidly then let it dry. It turns on and I can retrieve the songs off of it (which I did) but the wheel won't function. Battery and harddrive seem fine but I think the circuit board in there is probably shot huh?

Anything I can do? Is it a gonner?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
might be toasted , how long did you leave it set to dry before turning it on ?, might wait a few more days without touching it and then trying to turn it on again , if it still dosent function you might be out of luck , sell it on ebay or something and get a new one :(

sorry about your loss .

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried this morning to play it. It turns on no problem, just can't turn the dial from the touch pad thingie. Can't access anything and it won't power off. Kinda weird.

I'll let it sit for a couple more days and see what happens but I really think it drowned. UGH!
I'm lost without it!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If it really is toast, I'd sell the parts individually on ebay... you'll probably get more that way.

(I.e. replacement iPod harddrive/case/battery)
You could also check out the iPod brushed steel back tutorial (google it) - if you did that first you'd bound to get more for the case...

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I let it sit but because it was constantly on (but not working) the battery drained. I plugged it in to charge the battery and when i pushed the wheel, I got menu options. I'm thinking OMG! it works!!!! And it does! The only thing that I can't do is use the touch wheel for volume control or scrolling.. but I can pause, play, next and previous.
Does anyone think I"ll be able to scroll again? Or is that part of it toast?

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Scrolling as in the menu list and volume - the touch wheel - where you just glide your finger over the wheel and not push it.

Reaction score
disassemble it and put the scroll wheel portion in a warm (above 90) dry environment for a couple of days to try and evaporate the moisture that got in it.

ed724

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
hmm odd i go snowboarding with it all the time and never seems to "malfunction"

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I dismantle it? I've tried, but I don't see any screws in it... or a place to stick a butter knife in to lift it or what-not.

Reaction score
Here's a site that will show you how to dis-assemble it. It does not go beyond replacing the battery, but I find once you get inside, it should be easy to get to the rest of it. I was able to get into the edge with a utility knife blade (blade in suitable holder) to get started, without causing any scratches. This will get you an opening to start moving another slim tool down the edge to release the clips. Added a picture of my bench. You can see the entire Ipod dis-assmbled. Notice the picture of the 5 clips down the plastic top that have to be released to open it. Using the plastic card (pictured) is the easiest way to release them without beating the crap out of your ipod. Notice how thin the drive is, only 5mm. I believe these are 2.5in disks.

ed724

http://www.ipodbattery.com/slimipodinstall.htm

ipod_2.jpg

bench.jpg

allparts.jpg

drive.jpg

scrollback.jpg

sideclips.jpg

plasticcard.jpg

E

Ey3 D

Wow. That was an intense link. I am too attached to my iPod and have it too long to even looking at that. It is as if it were having surgery. My iPod and iBook don't go by any liquid.

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I played my ipod last night and a little today... I went to add more songs to it, hooked it up to my mac and saw the dreaded battery symbol with an exclamation point on it!
I tried recharging and it won't even turn on! WAHHHH
please don't tell me I have a chit battery!!! Am I doomed here? What do I do?
As for dismantling it. I havent' done anything to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.