Apple Pressures Competitor to Change Product Name

Reaction score
Rumors are circulating that under pressure from Apple the German tablet maker Neofonie has changed the name of its iPad competitor from WePad to WeTab.

Source: crunchgear.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I wonder what EeePc is going to do with their talked about EeePad?

OP
Lotus Esprit
Reaction score
There are implications for other products such as "MaxiPad" which does have the full Apple trademark "iPad" in it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
That depends if maxipad has trademarked their name or not.

OP
Lotus Esprit
Reaction score
That depends if maxipad has trademarked their name or not.

To Steve "Darth Vader" Jobs it doesn't matter.

Do you remember the Macintosh 1984 Commercial? Where Apple was smashing IBM who was "Big Brother"?

After the incident with the 4G iPhone, in going to search the kids house who found and sold it, Apple is now BIG BROTHER.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Actually I agree with Apple's measures they took to get the phone back. If your most prized possession was stolen I'm sure you'd move heaven and Earth to get it back. And you'd have police bash as many doors down till the property stolen from you was back in your hands. And Apple did no different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Did Apple pressure them, or was it simply a business decision to change the name because it was so silly? The name WeePad gives the connotation that it's an inferior knockoff.

So what's more plausible, the simple explanation given by the company, or the more elaborate one that has no factual basis?

OP
Lotus Esprit
Reaction score
Actually I agree with Apple's measures they took to get the phone back. If your most prized possession was stolen I'm sure you'd move heaven and Earth to get it back. And you'd have police bash as many doors down till the property stolen from you was back in your hands. And Apple did no different.

The problem with this is that the events of the police bashing down the doors and Apple wanting to do a search happened after they had their property returned.

Steve Jobs is now Darth Vader

OP
Lotus Esprit
Reaction score
Did Apple pressure them, or was it simply a business decision to change the name because it was so silly? The name WeePad gives the connotation that it's an inferior knockoff.

So what's more plausible, the simple explanation given by the company, or the more elaborate one that has no factual basis?

WeTab is even more silly than WePad so I am not buying it.

Reaction score

What? Apple was contacted by the guy that found the phone and they didn't believe him. He then contacted Gizmodo who paid him for the phone and then they contacted Apple. Apple got it back and over a week since everything started, the cops raid Jason Chen's house with illegal search warrants trying to send someone to jail because an Apple employee screwed up and then Apple ignored the guy trying to help them. They might be upset at the outcome with the photos & information but that doesn't necessitate sending the cops out and makes them look like the bad guy big time.

OP
Lotus Esprit
Reaction score
What? Apple was contacted by the guy that found the phone and they didn't believe him. He then contacted Gizmodo who paid him for the phone and then they contacted Apple. Apple got it back and over a week since everything started, the cops raid Jason Chen's house with illegal search warrants trying to send someone to jail because an Apple employee screwed up and then Apple ignored the guy trying to help them. They might be upset at the outcome with the photos & information but that doesn't necessitate sending the cops out and makes them look like the bad guy big time.

Plus Apple security went to the kids house who found the phone well after they had possesion of it again and wanted to search the place. Apple is Big Brother now and Steve Jobs is Darth Vader.

We are looking for an upstart tablet maker to be the present day Apple Computer of the 1980's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Proud Owner of a new MacBook Pro 13 inch!
WeTab

I was just reading this at the WeTab website and appears that they did this own there own. Probably a good decision considering Apple's reputation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder if Nintendo will complain about the WeTab because We sounds like Wii.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I really feel like watching episodes IV and V now. ... "That's no moon, it's an giant Apple !"

D.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.