Screen has weird marks on it

Reaction score
I was using Handbreak last night to encode a movie and had the MBP sitting on a table next to me.... I glanced over and noticed a few weird "splotches" at the bottom of the screen near the menu bar. I though it was odd so I shut down the machine and closed the lid and went to bed. This morning I woke up and the splotches had gotten to be a lot more... ay clue what this is from?

photo%20%281%29.jpg

Thanks, Jason

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like there's some black splotches around the DOCK. Is that what you're referring to? Since they're showing up on the screenshot and the display they could be graphics related. Can you hook up an external monitor and see if the same thing happens and then get back to us?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
I was using Handbreak last night to encode a movie and had the MBP sitting on a table next to me.... I glanced over and noticed a few weird "splotches" at the bottom of the screen near the menu bar. I though it was odd so I shut down the machine and closed the lid and went to bed. This morning I woke up and the splotches had gotten to be a lot more... ay clue what this is from?

photo%20%281%29.jpg

Thanks, Jason

Looks like the LCD panel has been leaking... I've seen a similar thing on a LCD panel in a remote I had which was sat on.

Has anyone set anything heavy on top of the closed macbook? If so I suspect they crushed some parts of the LCD panel allowing the liquid crystals to leak... If that is the case it is unfixable... it will likely get worse as time goes on at least that's what happened to my expensive remote which soon became an expensive paperweight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.