I just Can't Stand Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Look at this. If its not one thing, its something else. Updates that don't work, the constant assault from toolbars.
Internet security? Yeah, great one more program to sit in RAm and do absolutely nothing.
DVDs turned into coasters.
How do people put up with it?

This is for my brother's laptop. I have to figure out how to disable Java update otherwise someday it will try to update, he'll click yes, install a toolbar, Internet security and then ask for admin privileges.

Its as if Microsoft wasn't even trying.

can't burn a disc.jpg

java update 3.jpg

Javaruntime install Yahoo toolbar.jpg

UAC sucks.jpg

Reaction score
Yeah, I used my time machine to go back to 2001 where I experienced the same problems. It wasn't until I returned to 2010 when I realized that Windows 7 didn't have those problems. Phew. Thank goodness.

Reaction score
Yeah, I used my time machine to go back to 2001 where I experienced the same problems. It wasn't until I returned to 2010 when I realized that Windows 7 didn't have those problems. Phew. Thank goodness.

I really like windows 7, but i have to say my biggest problem with windows was all the underpowered computers that have the problems, and then fixing user problems like virus, spy ware and the such

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Oh wait - it is 2010 - and I couldn't update Vista to SP1 without my network driver not working. So I uninstall SP1 and bang along. So now I want to upgrade to windows 7 - I need SP1 so I figure *** - put SP1 back on - and lo and behold doesn't update. So I wipe Vista and install 7. Now admittedly 7 is much better than Vista. Kinda like Vista SP2 - thanks for charging me for a whole new OS upgrade - even though you just fixed all the problems with Vista. Yeah 2010 is just freakin great.

But I digress - if it weren't for Windows Vista I would have never tried a Mac. It may be the only thing good about Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Haha seriously, for the amount of computing most people do and the amount of money in their wallets, I don't see why ubuntu isn't by default installed on every OEM PC. It's freakin' FREE. You wouldn't have to buy it from MS anymore! Preload Docky, and voila! It's almost OS X!

The actual set up of ubuntu to customize it is a bit more than most people would be used to, but once you get a nice functional set up, it's easy street from there.

Reaction score
Oh wait - it is 2010 - and I couldn't update Vista to SP1 without my network driver not working. So I uninstall SP1 and bang along. So now I want to upgrade to windows 7 - I need SP1 so I figure *** - put SP1 back on - and lo and behold doesn't update. So I wipe Vista and install 7. Now admittedly 7 is much better than Vista. Kinda like Vista SP2 - thanks for charging me for a whole new OS upgrade - even though you just fixed all the problems with Vista. Yeah 2010 is just freakin great.

But I digress - if it weren't for Windows Vista I would have never tried a Mac. It may be the only thing good about Vista.

Good points all. What's even better is that I have the choice of hardware when it comes to OS 10.6. I love paying those premiums. Hey, if it's shiny and made by Apple, it's got to be better right? All sarcasm aside, I would gladly go out and buy OS X yesterday if I, me, the consumer had the choice of hardware. I understand that Apple hardware is absolutely gorgeous but so is my rig for about $1000 less running Win 7 Ultimate. I love OS X. It's a masterpiece. I hate the lack of choice. And yes I know why Apple needs to do this. Complete control over one's platform.

Reaction score
Haha seriously, for the amount of computing most people do and the amount of money in their wallets, I don't see why ubuntu isn't by default installed on every OEM PC. It's freakin' FREE. You wouldn't have to buy it from MS anymore! Preload Docky, and voila! It's almost OS X!

The actual set up of ubuntu to customize it is a bit more than most people would be used to, but once you get a nice functional set up, it's easy street from there.

Another great option I'm sure. I haven't made the jump to Ubuntu yet. I'm still on Fedora 10. Time to change methinks.

Reaction score
Good points all. What's even better is that I have the choice of hardware when it comes to OS 10.6. I love paying those premiums. Hey, if it's shiny and made by Apple, it's got to be better right? All sarcasm aside, I would gladly go out and buy OS X yesterday if I, me, the consumer had the choice of hardware. I understand that Apple hardware is absolutely gorgeous but so is my rig for about $1000 less running Win 7 Ultimate. I love OS X. It's a masterpiece. I hate the lack of choice. And yes I know why Apple needs to do this. Complete control over one's platform.

The only problem with letting people put OS X on any computer is that it will become just like MS and not have the support it has now with only a limited number of different computers it can be installed on.

What I would like to see is Apple license previous OS X versions out to normal consumers such as Tiger Charge 150 dollars for it and sell it to anyone that wants to add it, just keep the newest versions for themselves, that way it gives some choice yet it wont take away from the Mac profits much.

Lex

Reaction score
From an industrial designer point of view:  Apple is the best example for us now, sustainable and customer oriented design (not only the looks and handling but also software).
Though 30 years ago people on my faculty had different ideas. Industrial design back then was figuring out a way to earn as much money, wether they produced good or bad products.
The way I see it windows was a great design example in the past and smartly played out. But they got blind and stuck in that past.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Choice of hardware is an issue - especially when it comes to desktop computing. If I were to go get a desktop I wouldn't pay the premium for the Mac Pro. I could build a much better rig myself. The iMac is great hardware if you never want to modify anything.

Where I think the comparison of hardware goes south is with laptops - which is the majority of new sales. Yes you can go get a netbook or a really cheap laptop - but price out a similar spec laptop - that is reliable. You cannot compare consumer line laptops to the Macbook Pros. I've had a consumer dell, a consumer toshiba, consumer sony, alienware too. I've had the business line of dell, ibm(lenovo) and toshibas. I have yet to have a consumer laptop last more than 5 years - most lasted 3. I have 600MHz toshiba laptops from the business line still running simple servers using linux. I've heard the argument - I can buy 2 laptops by the time I buy one mac - so really then I could have had 6 years out of my consumer line laptop. That is a personal call but when you setup as many computers as I have - I don't like having to bring up computers so the less I do it the better for me.

Anyway - I agree with the point, Macbooks come in your favorite material as long as it is aluminum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Okay, admittedly there is a premium, but when you actually go and price each individual component of an Apple computer (which is usually more than the average consumer needs for sure, bluetooth, dual band n cards, quality RAM and the latest super sexy dual core i7s... It's not nearly as big of a premium as you think.

As for the lack of choice, I know where you're coming from, but at the same time this should only be a problem if Apple isn't putting quality stuff in their machines... but they are. The 330m is a nice graphics card, and in the desktops you get different choices. Admittedly, you can't just go out and build your own computer to run OS X (legally). But that's a good thing.

Another great option I'm sure. I haven't made the jump to Ubuntu yet. I'm still on Fedora 10. Time to change methinks.

Yea, I'm sort of a linux n00b, but am toying around in a VM spending a lot of time here so I can get to know the system and offer help for folks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still use RHEL (redhat enterprise linux) for work as it is the only thing supported but it is a pain to maintain.

I went over to Ubuntu because of Apt. 2 words - RPM **** - is the reason I switched over to a Debian system. The latest versions are ultra easy to install (as long as you pick the desktop version) Even my old Dell Pentium M 1.7GHz runs great. It boots in seconds. Ubuntu has great community support too - as well as package support.

I've been running Ubuntu with Parallels and it has been running pretty well. I am even able to run both Windows 7 and Ubuntu side by side - but I'd rather not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Windows 7 is a nice operating system for what it is. It's still a windows system though which still runs on legacy code ideas and a failed security system. Oh well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB

That was the reason I got my first Mac also. Another issue was the WINDOWS activation issues I had. Always having to call MS and explain why I was reinstalling my OS and would like to get it reactivated. I'll never go back to Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I still have not worked out which version of W7 is right for me. I saw 6 different versions in the store and had no idea. That's what really annoys me about windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check out this chart - the various versions annoy me too
Windows 7: Compare Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate
It also points to the fact that you are not comparing (pardon the pun) apples to apples
For example - If you want backup comparable to time machine you need windows 7 professional or ultimate. That is $100 to $150 more just to get network backup. Windows home premium - you can only backup to attached disks.

If you want to run XP compatible - you can't run home premium.
If you want bitlocker to encrypt files you need ultimate.

So - to answer the question which to get - I always recommend ultimate that way you don't go - oh snap I have to upgrade (which is only a license key but still a PITA) but be ready to add $150 to anything you purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And in Australia the prices are liek this:

Home Premium Full version - $292
Professional Full Vesion - $438
Ultimate Full Version - $462
Those prices are pretty terrible. As I only have XP. I never entered the mess that was Vista.

Thanks for the link. That does make sense. I would need Professinal. So that's a lot of cash for W7. I think W7 is a pretty good OS. Worth the upgrade from XP. But it's not as good as OS X. And even Home Premium costs more than 10.5+10.6 ($158 + $39 = $197). And also more then the Mac Box Set at $229.

So something not as good as OS X costs more than OS X. This fact alone makes this whole mess hurt. But I'll have to chump up the cash for one version of W7 one day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.