Purchasing New iMac

Reaction score
Hello all, I've been a reader but not a poster up until now. I read lots when I was looking to buy my 17" MacPro and thank everyone for the great guidance and answers on the product. As everyone always says "I love it!"

So I'm from Canada and work in the IT Admin for my career, I like to work with Digital photos and video in my spare time and the MacPro fit the bill and I'm very impressed.

Upgrading my other 3 or 4 machines to Windows 7 makes my stomach turn as I hate the fact of spending money like that on a OS. I'm running Ubuntu 10.4 on my desktop right now but all in all use my MacPro as my primary machine.

Work has a computer purchase plan and I'm looking at getting an Imac 27" and Ipad when it releases here at the end of May.

Any thoughts / recommendations on the 27" Imac, It would end up being my core machine for video editing and desktop use, and I would end up using my 17" MacPro as my portable machine at that point.

I think just standard specs and I would upgrade memory if neccessary after and the purchase of Final Cut Express.

2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
8x double-layer SuperDrive
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) and User's Guide

Anyhow, just wanted to toss that out there and see if there are any gotcha's like make sure and use the educational discount, or how to bundle for a free ipod touch, etc etc.

Best bang for the buck if you know what I mean.

L8r all!
Vince

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
That is the iMac I have, and it is a great machine. I use it for regular everyday tasks like email, web, documents, etc. I also use it for 3D rendering and texture work as well as some basic photo editing, and it preforms better than my old Windows box ever did.

I have not upgraded the RAM from the standard 4GB, but may do so eventually. I can't help with how it would do with the standard RAM for video work, as I don't do any of that.

If you went with that iMac, I don't think you would be disappointed. I love mine to death.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.