kismac

D

dagriggs

I have read a lot on this but am still unclear. I have a G4. I installed Kismac and it scans and detectes networks great. However, I do not have an option for running my airport extream card in active mode. I have only the option to run it in passive mode. I need to be able to inject packets somehow and I don;t know how to do it. In the help files it seems as though I should be able to choose airport active mode. Do I need to replace my card with an Orinoco? Or am I simplly missing a setting?

OP
K

Kokopelli

dagriggs said:
I need to be able to inject packets somehow and I don;t know how to do it.

Can you try explaining what you mean by this? It is probably not what you are trying to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
do you mean using your computer as a point for other computers to connect?

OP
D

dagriggs

I am sorry. Let me explain. I am wardiving. I knew I needed KisMAC so I installed it on my 'book. It seems to work great at least as far as seeing and monitoring wifi access points. However, the help given with the KismMAC was a bit confusing. Playing with it and reading it over and over again I think I have figured it out. I am trying to create traffic on a network that is WEP protected in order to generate enough packets to enable me to crack it. I believe the only way I can do this is with a different wireless card. My Airport extream card just can not do it. Has anyone else done this ?

OP
F

FishStickBoy

I think the airport extreme cards only work in passive mode.

You will probably need a different card.

Edit: The older airport cards will work in both passive and active modes.

OP
K

Kokopelli

Actually the Airport Extreme card only works in active mode but that is only part of your problem. You actually do want to do packet injection from what you are describing. In order to do it though you are going to need 2 network cards. You need one as a sniffer (passive mode) and one sending carfully selected packets in Active mode. This way the sniffer can analyze the responses. It can be done with a single card in active mode in theory but Kismac can not do this according to the documentation.

Packet injection is not exactly polite either by the way. Might I suggest you find non-wep routers and be content with them? I have done this (in Linux) a couple of times as a demonstration for security requirements at clients who believe WEP to be sufficient. I would not do it to a stranger's private access point though. First of all there is no profit in it, there are enough unprotected points out there. Second having WEP up is a clear sign they do not want to be disturbed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I agree with kokopelli don't go around srewing with peoples wep routers, unless like kokopelli you are doing it as a demenstration to people who you are trying to sell better security to.

OP
D

dagriggs

Packet injection is not exactly polite either by the way. Might I suggest you find non-wep routers and be content with them?

I will probably take that suggestion. I am interested in cracking the WEP but do not want to have to add another laptop (or an additional wireless card). I do appreciate your help. Thank you. Do you think KisMAC will come out with the ability to do this in the future?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.