Snow Leopard + Windows 7 + Parallels 5 = Compatible?

Reaction score
Has anyone had any success in getting Parallels 5 to work in a stable fashion with Snow Leopard and Windows 7? In my case, Parallels 5 crashed Windows 7 so I had to re-install this operating system.

The installation of Parallels 5 went perfectly, but within a few hours after installation, the software was having problems connecting to and operating Windows 7, and ultimately, I had to re-install Windows 7.

I've also observed on the main forum for Parallels 5, that many users who are trying to use this software with Snow Leopard and Windows 7, are not having any lasting success.
Personally, I'm not comfortable working with Parallels 5 again until they have released some software patches that address the current stability issues.
I have tried contacting Parallels 5 Email Support but they have not returned my inquiries.

Thanks for any feedback.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We have quite a few folks here that are using Parallels 5 and running a Windows 7 VM from it. (Also Fusion) I have not heard of any problems doing so. Did you install all the recommended Parallels 5 Guest Tools? Lots of users have difficulties because they neglected to install the Guest Tools.

Check this LINK if you need more info.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Did you install all the recommended Parallels 5 Guest Tools?
Yes, I installed the Guest Tools feature as well.

I'm also considering VMware, which is actually cheaper than Parallels 5.
VMware also has a free trial offer. Some earlier research I did suggested
that Parallels 5 is a superior choice to VMware, but now I'm not too sure.

Reaction score
I've run Windows 7 on SL with VMWare with no problems. VMWare is one of the first virtualization companies out there and have been dong business in the business and military sectors for some time. I had never heard of parallels until about 2 years ago to be honest. This was one of the main reasons that I chose VMWare. Both do work but without looking at your setup it is hard to say why Windows crashed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.