• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Nintendo boss calls Apple 'the enemy of the future'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
What a great compliment!

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Just remember fighting a war on many fronts os pretty much a bad idea. Apple are now are in a war with many fronts.
The google and advertising front
The adobe and flash front
The nintendo and gaming front

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
The only thing is - unless Nintendo comes up with a phone that is as well received as the iPhone, the competition is really different markets. Aside from the DS, gaming on a Mac competes more with gaming on a windows machine - all that leaves is gaming on iphone/ipod/ipad - none of which are convenient TV hookup, which means that they won't be competition for the Wii - which only really leaves the DS platform.

And from what the article said here:

However, Nintendo's expanded gamer demographics of high school girls and men 30-40 now say they'd rather have an iPhone than carry a DS, according to the report.

Game content aside - as both have good and bad games - Apple has already won the biggest skirmish - what to carry and how much to carry. Nintendo would have to re-think their position in terms of equipment to battle that aspect.

Reaction score
Just remember fighting a war on many fronts os pretty much a bad idea. Apple are now are in a war with many fronts.

That is only the case if you don't have the resources to fight on those fronts.

Germany didn't have the resources to fight a two front war. The US and it's allies did, that's one of the big reasons we won WWII..

Apple has plenty of resources (aka: Cash) to wage war on not only these fronts but many others..

You also forget that they have fights with Microsoft, every PC/laptop manufacturer, Amazon.com, and some others....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Remember these are only the fights that are publicized here is an idea if all these companies see Apple as a threat then build something better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
You also forget that they have fights with Microsoft, every PC/laptop manufacturer, Amazon.com, and some others....

True that! A while back, Microsoft was in undeniable control of the PC market. And against all odds, Apple has successfully fought back Microsoft's dominance and continues to eat away at their market share. Go Apple :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The Nintendo DS, with its tiny screen, stylus control and 1990s case design is looking seriously outdated compared with the iPhone and iPod Touch.

Nintendo are a great company that innovated with the Wii, but are being beaten to a pulp by Apple, they need a Wii style innovation for their handheld console.

As I have said before, Apple didn't seek out the gaming platform, it had kind of fell into their lap. Apple have been burned more than once by trying to get into this market, and now they have a credible gaming device by accident.

Not bad, gaining a market they never actively sought to get into.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True that! A while back, Microsoft was in undeniable control of the PC market. And against all odds, Apple has successfully fought back Microsoft's dominance and continues to eat away at their market share. Go Apple :)

MS controlled the OS depatment only. They still need other hardware manufactures as well. Apple are not so dependant on hardware devs. They brand their own computers. Sure both need intel and co to make the parts. But Apple assepble the parts into a computer. MS need others to assemble the computer and others to brand and sell them.

So if many of the big PC assemblers like Dell/HP etc all died, MS would up that creek with no paddle. But Apple would not be worried as they assemble their own computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

Considering what Apple has risen from, if there is a company to do it, IT'S APPLE!

Reaction score
IMHO this article is a little thin. It appears more anecdotal than anything. Yes they quote sales statistics for Nintendo ONLY.

Sure the Iphone is a contender, but you have to think of what makes the buying decision. People buy the iphone because they want the phone, with all the bells and whistles that it is. They don't buy it for the sole reason that it can play games, but that may be a part of it (the phone comes first I would say). People buy the DS because they want to game with it. Sure, we might be able to say that there is a percentage of people that OWN an iphone that decide NOT to buy the DS because they are satisfied just enough with the games in the app store. But nintendo carries some pretty unique games that have a fan base.

Nintendo won the console wars agains MS and Sony. They don't need to win the iphone war.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Model # A1151
I've lost faith in nintendo after their Nintendo.... thing fail exercise,
True exercise should be done not that crap!
go to a real yoga class and communicate and find people with similar interests.

I bought a DS for about 3 titles... it collects dust worse then an Crudbox 360 Room heater!!!!

Apple has a bit of control on the gaming market, once people find that they should adapt more bigger titles to it and different gaming markets,
thats in their hand.

Valve made the right decision with steam for mac.
I love it!

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Nintendo DS, with its tiny screen, stylus control and 1990s case design is looking seriously outdated compared with the iPhone and iPod Touch.

There is the DSi XL. And that's getting bigger. And sure Apple is still at the front in design and technology. But Nintendo is no slouch either. None on Nintendo's direct competitiors (Not including Apple here) brought out a system with motion sensing controls (like the Wii) or using touch (the DS which does work with your finger too I tried it). Only now is Sony experimenting in motion sensing controllers to try and copy the Wiimote.

And I think the DS look pretty modern. As does the Wii. But I will agree not as modern as the iphone. But my whole point is I think Apple and Nintendo share one thing in common. Innovative thinking. ANd saying (through their products) that design and UI is more inportant than simple raw computing power. And the proof is in the sales. Nintendo outsold the competition and Apple's sales are not to shabby either.

I think war could turn really nasy. Because unlike the adobe or MS or other wars, the Apple vs Nintendo is one where finally it is 2 companies at the top of their game against each other. Sure it's a war Apple did not intend to start, it just happened. And Apple have nothing to lose by it. People don't think of Apple primarily as a gaming platform anyways. But they do for Nintendo and they have a lot to lose.

And if this cripples Nintendo then the Xbox/PS3 would already be dead. As Apple's effect would kill the weakest in the industry first. Weakest sales wise.

Nintendo need to enter the all in one device. As in the iphone can do a heap of stuff as can the touch/ipad. But the DS/Wii can only game well. And the browsers on them both are poor at best. That's just cause the UI of both is designed for gaming and not net browsing. Bringing out a device that can do more then just game would make more sales. But it'd also put it more in direct competition with Apple. And that is something I'm sure Nintendo and Apple both don't want. So it's hard to know how both companies will respond to this. As both companies have a history of winning wars with their competition.

And to the above poster, sure you hate Wiifit. Fair enough. But millions liked it and it sold really well for Nintendo. And made them lost of money. And I think that's all nintendo care about. And with all that talk of virtual sports in schools it'll sell more than ever. Sure I agree it's all BS. Kids/people should get out in the real world and exersice/play sport. But you can't argue with the sales.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think it's a bit melodramatic to say that Apple is "at war" on all of these fronts.

Let's be honest, the iPhone/iPod devices are useless for anything resembling serious gaming. Super Monkey Ball is interesting for about 5 minutes before you start to get frustrated and want to chuck the thing across a room.

My point is, no one buys an iPhone/iPod to play games. They buy it as a phone/PDA/music player first, and if it just happens to play games, then great. Sure, that might cut into Nintendo's sales to certain demographics, but it's certainly never going to edge them out of their core markets.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.