Error code -8003?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 14", M2 Pro, 32GB RAM
Recently added a MacBook Pro to the family, so wanted to set up my current external HDD (WD My Book Studio, which has been flawless) as a TM disk for the new machine, and also continue using it for the iMac. The disk was full, and there is no file management UI in Time Machine, so using Finder I simply deleted a range of backups from the disk to make room for the MBP backups.

That was an exercise in patience, as it took the better part of an hour for the OS to process the request and subsequently delete the files from the trash can.

Anyway, they were gone until today. Started up the iMac, then completed my work and tried to log off. The desktop toolbars/icons go away, but the background freezes and the external HDD churns for ~1-2 minutes. After it's done, the logoff completes.

Now, however, the previously deleted files/folders from the TM disk are back in the trash can and cannot be deleted. "Error code -8003" which I cannot find a reference to anywhere, other than to discern that 80xx errors are reporting through Finder. ***?

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Now, however, the previously deleted files/folders from the TM disk are back in the trash can and cannot be deleted. "Error code -8003" which I cannot find a reference to anywhere, other than to discern that 80xx errors are reporting through Finder. ***?

Solving Trash Problems

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah...very good. Thanks.

Tom

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, turns out the persistent deleted TM files were on the external HDD. Noticed that when the drive was ejected, the trash showed empty. Re-mount it, the trash reappeared. Tried several methods in the "Solving trash problems" link...nothing worked. Did a verify/repair disk on the drive...nothing. Then, went to log off for the night and got the same 2 minute freeze/delay that happened earlier, while the external drive churned away. After it finished, logged back on to see what had changed - the trash is empty!

Now there's an identical problem with one of the program files I downloaded to help with the issue. FileXaminer can't be deleted...error code -8003. :Grimmace:

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well, turns out the persistent deleted TM files were on the external HDD. Noticed that when the drive was ejected, the trash showed empty. Re-mount it, the trash reappeared. Tried several methods in the "Solving trash problems" link...nothing worked. Did a verify/repair disk on the drive...nothing. Then, went to log off for the night and got the same 2 minute freeze/delay that happened earlier, while the external drive churned away. After it finished, logged back on to see what had changed - the trash is empty!

Now there's an identical problem with one of the program files I downloaded to help with the issue. FileXaminer can't be deleted...error code -8003. :Grimmace:

Tom

Hmmm. You might want to try running a hardware test on your Mac using the factory install disc. Also check out that hard drive… I'm wondering if it's starting to fail on you.
Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test
Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks

Also, how is that external drive formatted? You aren't using FAT32 by chance?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No...it's Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Ran extended hardware test; no issues.

Tom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.