Mini HD space/ recieving tiger

O

OSXMacMiniJacob

When first purchasing the Mini how much of the HD is already taken up? I have a 80GB HD
When i check it tho it says
Capacity 74.4GB
Available 38.87BG
Used 35.52 on disk

First of all i don't think i've used more than 10GB's on my comp- I have about 3GB of songs and maybe 2GB's from free-games so what i am asking is what could possibly taking all that space up? and i do not have tiger installed.

That brings me to my next question- I bought my computer like 2 weeks before tiger came out and I'm wondering how i can get tiger for free because I read somewhere that since it was so close to the release I could get tiger(it's now installed on macs automatically).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I never heard of this getting tiger for free, but you could call apple and ask them about it.

The mac 80gb hard drives arn't really 80gb they are 74.41gb but they are close enough to call them 80 when marketing since the other space in the hardrive is not usable at all, not even to the system.

As for how much space you used, did you download movies, import home videos, install alot of programs?

OP
B

Badger

Apple usually has an upgrade program for people who have bought new Macs just before a system change. I haven't heard if they did that for Tiger. Your best bet is to call Apple or go to the online store. There is usually a minimum charge. I got Panther for $20 after I got my eMac.

OP
O

OSXMacMiniJacob

thanks you guys- wow thats really gay so why don't they say 74GB at least they aren't lieing....
I don't remember where exactly but i read a couple threads that you could get tiger if you recently bought a new computer( this was about 1-2weeks before tiger came out)

Yes i downloaded quite a few- i'm not exactly sure if i deleted everything- i just deleted after installing the items from the desktop(where i placed my downloads automatically go) and HD--> apps -- i'm new to mac's so i'm not sure how deep the installations go

Wow i'm suprised, my multimedia stuff( mostly video's ) took up almost 8GB's alone...

Also i noticed that I-tunes copied my music again so i really was taking up 2x's the amount of space which sucked.

whats iDVD it takes 1.5GB's and i actually use VLC which runs alot.

I would like to uninstall any programs that are unneeded like nanosaur which I will never play since I got this game: ET(Enemy Territory) by wolfstein and it's a great FPS for about 300MB(after dled maps)
So any recommendations to useless files that are pre-installed on a new mac is appreciated. Also is there a program that is kind of like Hijackthis( PC) on a Mac?

Thanks all!

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
PowerBookG4 said:
I never heard of this getting tiger for free, but you could call apple and ask them about it.

The mac 80gb hard drives arn't really 80gb they are 74.41gb but they are close enough to call them 80 when marketing since the other space in the hardrive is not usable at all, not even to the system.

As for how much space you used, did you download movies, import home videos, install alot of programs?

Toshiba and other HD manufacturers measure disk size in units of 1000 bytes, file systems measure in units of 1024 bytes so 1Gb on the HD is 1000,000,000 bytes wheras 1Gb on the filesystem is 1024x1024x1024 = 1073,741,824 bytes.

In addition the "available" space reported by the filesystem allows for the directory structure and other HD space taken up by the filesystem management itself so even a freshly formatted drive will appear to have some space missing.

OS X takes up around 7Gb of disk space, 4Gb more if you have installed developer tools and another huge chunk if you have installed classic.

Amen-Moses

OP
O

OSXMacMiniJacob

yeh so maybe 15GB's were already in use when i first got the computer. It would be nice if i could find a new mini that would be checked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Amen-Moses said:
Toshiba and other HD manufacturers measure disk size in units of 1000 bytes, file systems measure in units of 1024 bytes so 1Gb on the HD is 1000,000,000 bytes wheras 1Gb on the filesystem is 1024x1024x1024 = 1073,741,824 bytes.

In addition the "available" space reported by the filesystem allows for the directory structure and other HD space taken up by the filesystem management itself so even a freshly formatted drive will appear to have some space missing.

OS X takes up around 7Gb of disk space, 4Gb more if you have installed developer tools and another huge chunk if you have installed classic.

Amen-Moses

oh this is correct, I forgot that some manufactures did it literally not what the file system reads it as.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.