UPS for iMac 21,5" ?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need your help/advice, I've been trying to buy a new UPS for my iMac 21,5" and I'm at a loss. I can't decide what's the "VA" necessary for my machine. I'm planning to plug my router , plus an external hard disk drive of 500GB on the UPS, so I was wondering if a UPS 550VA is enough for my needs.

This is what I was thinking of :

APC Power-Saving Back-UPS ES 8 Outlet 550VA 230V CEE 7/7

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
An UPS serves two purposes: Prevent data loss in the event of a power shutdown, and smooth out the AC (remove ripple, prevent line spikes) to your machine.

With that said, I would look for an UPS that provides at least 750 VA and is compatible with OS X. You want compatibility so that your iMac will be able to effect a controlled shutdown when the AC mains are shut off.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
For your purposes, Watts = VA * .6. That won't pass in an electronics examination, but is close enough for estimating a UPS. So that UPS is about 300 watts. Or a little more.

Your IMac will take most of that capacity (about 250 watts). The router and USB drive will have trivial current consumptions - you can tell from the data on the wall transformers.

You will be very close to maxing out with that model. As chscag stated, you need to move up a notch to at least a 750. Also, remember that the VA number on a UPS is to indicate maximum output wattage, not runtime. You can have a UPS that will keep your Mac going for a only few minutes, or a model with the same VA that will run it for days. Those are two different ratings for a UPS that you need to decide on.

You have noticed that the UPS that you quoted is for 230 volt input? Very unusual input voltage for the average Mac user.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.