Xfer apps between Ipod and Ipad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I bought an app for my Ipad, and downloaded it using my Ipad. After using it for a little while, I decided that it would work better on my Ipod Touch. So when I synced my Ipad the app got delivered into Itunes on my IMac, and now shows up there. So far so good.

When I try to transfer it to my Ipod by syncing, Itunes says it it there but it doesn't show up in the device. I thought that maybe Apple required a separate purchase for each device, but when I access the Store with my Ipod, it says that I already own it, so they apparently don't care how many devices the owner of the app installs it on.

It is an app that will run on both devices.

Advice from Itunes experts wanted.

Thanks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
When you sync your iPod click on the device (ipod) in the middle left hand column, and at the top of the iPod status pane you should see an APPs tab. Click on that and then scroll down and you should be presented with a list of available APPs, the ones already on your iPod should have a check next to their Icons.
Find the APP that you own and want to install on your iPod and click on the check box and then click to Apply (lower right of window).

iPod will sync and you should see your APP.

Can't do a screen shot because I'm at work and on an "Evil Empire" machine. Hopefully this helps. :)

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. I see the list of apps with check marks.

However... Something is hosed up. There are far fewer apps in the list than are on the Ipod. Plus, it lists 2 with check marks that are not on the Ipod. And when I hit sync, I get a message that it has found purchased items on the Ipod that are not present in Itunes and do I want to transfer them?

I say yes, and it gives a couple of messages about syncing and transfering apps, but nothing more shows up in Itunes.

Possibly I need to do a restore.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you using the same iTunes store account with your iPod and iPad?
If so, you should be able to download the missing APPs

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep. Same account but the IPod was screwed up. I went ahead and bought the upgrade to version 3 and did a restore. That cleared it up and it is seeing everything now.

Thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad it's working for you now. Enjoy! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.