Reliable VPN for Mac?

Reaction score
I just moved out to China and there are a lot of sites (Youtube, FB, Megavideo, Wikipedia, etc.) I can't access.

I was told to use Hotspot Shield, but it's not working all the time for me. Then I started looking into VPN solutions.

Does anyone know a reliable and easy-to-use VPN application that works for Mac in China?

Obviously free of cost would be ideal, but if you know from experience one that it's not free but it really works please let me know as well.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a look here.

That should give you some idea of how to set it up.

Regards.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I have Snow Leopard but I was able to figure out how to get to the same place the Web site explained. However, you'll have to excuse my ignorance in this topic, but should I use the exact same info given there:

1. Type vpn-public.vpn.northwestern.edu into the Server address: field.
2. Type your NetID into the Account Name: field.
3. Type your NetID password into the Password: field.

Or should I have this info myself from another source I'm still not clear on?

Thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You would need the information to the network you are trying to tunnel in too.

OP
Y
Reaction score
I see... The thing is, I don't have an specific network I want to tunnel to. I just want to be able to navigate the internet as if I was in US or EU where I can access any site without a problem.

So in order to do that:
1. Do I need to ask my server administrator (aka internet provider) for the necessary information to set up a VPN?

2. Or is there another way I can get that information (from an open network perhaps) so I can set up the VPN on my own?

In addition to that I found this application that seems quite neat to create and manage VPN. I just need the information to fill up the information the application asks me for after installing it.

By the way, thanks for your reply!

Reaction score
I just moved out to China and there are a lot of sites (Youtube, FB, Megavideo, Wikipedia, etc.) I can't access.

I was told to use Hotspot Shield, but it's not working all the time for me. Then I started looking into VPN solutions.

Does anyone know a reliable and easy-to-use VPN application that works for Mac in China?

Obviously free of cost would be ideal, but if you know from experience one that it's not free but it really works please let me know as well.

Thanks!

Not just you but no one else can access sites YouTube, Facebook, Wikipedia, Twitter etc. The Chinese government has worked a lot on internet censorship and to bypass the great firewall you need a reliable VPN China.

free VPNs are not encrypting the data that's why so many people have received legal notices from the Chinese government.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Express VPN, not cheap but you get what you pay for in VPN's.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You mention you are using Snow Leopard. This is an antiquated Operating System (OS) which is no longer supported by Apple meaning that you will receive no security updates (indeed you will not have received any for a while) so browsing the internet will be unsafe at best on all but the safest sites. In addition you may find that currently available security software and VPN apps such as Express VPN may not be compatible. Are you able to upgrade your OS?
What Mac and what model are you using? Check "About This Mac" under the Apple Menu and let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
Also know that it's a cat and mouse game if you are using a VPN in China. They always seem to disable VPN's as soon as they detect them. When I was in China I went through several VPN's as they always seem to catch them. Also sometimes my emails home just "disappeared" didn't bounce back but didn't make it out of China either. Also, also be sure you don't write emails saying anything negative about China or what's in the news there as you may get a visit from the local police and/or your whole internet will just go out completely for a period of time.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Diane, I'm 100% with you on that, personally I wouldn't be using anything but the latest OSX with my Firewall on, latest security updates and any other security options I could apply. Even then it's risky.

Reaction score
Diane, I agree with you because I have experienced the same thing when traveled to China for holidays. I was totally shocked with this kind of restrictions. Also when I ask for suggestions nobody was 100% sure that a specific software will gonna work. It seems like China is not a good place for internet users especially who are the citizens of North American and Europen countries.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple 12-inch MacBook Retina
free VPNs is a disaster when it comes to bypass Chinese firewalls because they are limited in server locations and IP address which usually are blocked by them. I agree with @peterbuttler. But, I don't completely agree that "no one" can access the blocked sites. There must be some sort of VPN on the internet which could bypass Chinese firewall restriction and goes undetected. I think VPN with more server locations and IP addresses can solve the issue? If one is blocked use the other one.

Reaction score
@peterkendrick Well, Most of the Virtual Private Network (VPN) fails to survive in China because of the Chinese firewall.

Another interesting report more than 30% iPhone users are in China which is an impressive figure. http://www.macworld.com/article/2056896/apple-in-china-by-the-numbers.html

According to a report, more than 90% internet users in China have accessed different social media sites with the help of VPNs.

So it is clear to understand that people have found the best VPN for Mac or for any other device which works perfectly in China.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Came to the same conclusion myself Express VPN for my MBP with free iOS version for my iPhone and really good support 24/7 live chat help line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple 12-inch MacBook Retina
Express VPN, not cheap but you get what you pay for in VPN's.

Yeah, not cheap but works pretty good with MAC, I have found some good stats about them here is the list of 5 best VPN for MAC, they compared with price, speed test and other factors. what you think?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.