Geektool new vs. old

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
i had Geektool 3 installed, but most step by steps showed the older (2.x) version and the whole layout changed dramatically so i installed version 2.x.. so far it has crashed twice. anyone know of a good step by step for version 3 (i'm running OS X Snow Leopard 10.6) so i am ***-u-ming it's best to run the newest version ?

having other issues with Geektool which i can hopefully sort out on my own or i'll be back to ask :}

thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Well I don't know any good step by steps, but it isn't that hard to use.
YouTube might have some good ones, YouTube - GeekTool 3 Tutorial

First go to Geeklets - Share and vote on Geeklets for GeekTool and pick out the one(s) you want to use. Once you have found a Geeklet that you like, hold the Option key and click the link to download it. Once downloaded, simply double-click on it and it will open it up in GeekTool, or you can copy and enter commands yourself.

If you want to enter the commands yourself,
Open Geektool and drag the shell icon to the desktop. Use as many of these shells on the desktop as you have scripts, one for the calendar one for the top command etc.
XlH9V.Screenshot%202010-05-06%20at%2012.36.27%20PM.png

Now there is a rectangular black box on the desktop, and this window should also be visible somewhere.
Click the … after the command field and paste into the resulting window the command.
The font can be any mono-spaced font, Courier is one of them.
XlKfV.Screenshot%202010-05-06%20at%2012.36.51%20PM.png

I use echo "test" here but you could also use cal | sed "s/^/ /;s/$/ /;s/ $(date +%e) / $(date +%e | sed 's/./#/g') /" for the calendar ps -arcwwwxo "command %cpu %mem" | grep -v grep | head -10 for the CPU usage
XlL5B.Screenshot%202010-05-06%20at%2012.37.31%20PM.png

Xm7bI.Screenshot%202010-05-06%20at%2012.49.01%20PM.png

OP
roeiboot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
thanks.!

this was helpful (also found some Youtube clips and web sites with info...) digging this place, pretty quick and certainly good help.

didn't see it, but is there a thread here w/ folks showing off what they made ?

OP
roeiboot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
thanks again...

the lazy person in me would like to download a complete clock/date "geeklet" with positions and everything in it. i must say not fully my taste but some of them look absolutely amazing, like the comic screen with the info in the "text balloons"...

Geektool is an amazing little tool that should be standard in the Apple OS :}

OP
roeiboot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
i know now that it's close to not doable sharing positions and what not --that i've learned, i also wanted to share that via the Geektool forum i have found out that you can right-click on an item and change the layering, which rocks..

ps. didn't mean to bump, wanted to edit previous message but couldn't find where ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OS 10.6.3
automatically start on reset

how do u get this application to run on system bootup

i went to system preferences// accounts //login items .. and i have geektool there checked off but it still doesnt load up on MAC reboot

i have this command posted in for weather but nothing shows ... i trie putting refresh of 1 and still nothing ... any ideas ...

curl --silent "http://weather.yahoo.com/united-states/new-york/new-york-12761493/" | grep "forecast-icon" | sed "s/.*background\\:url(\\'\\(.*\\)\\')\\;\\ _background.*/\\1/" | xargs curl --silent -o /tmp/weather.png

then i have the above image pulled with file option in geektool and the pic shows but just no weather in the above command ... any advice?

OP
roeiboot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
did not do anything but install it and it runs on startup..

for weather i use:

Code:
curl --silent "http://xml.weather.yahoo.com/forecastrss?p=USOH0408&u=f" | grep -E '(Current Conditions:|F<BR)' | sed -e 's/Current Conditions://' -e 's/<br \/>//' -e 's/<b>//' -e 's/<\/b>//' -e 's/<BR \/>//' -e 's///' -e 's/<\/description>//'

and 2 scripts, 1 to pull image from Yahoo & one to show the image i pulled.

(i got all this code from Talina: YouTube - CoolEnufForaMac's Channel)

hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OS 10.6.3
thats the same youtube video i watched

i am running mac os 10.6.3 with geektool 3

i have show menu icon set in options .. i see that on reboot but i always have to open it and refresh or open preferences...

did not do anything but install it and it runs on startup..

for weather i use:

Code:
curl --silent "http://xml.weather.yahoo.com/forecastrss?p=USOH0408&u=f" | grep -E '(Current Conditions:|F<BR)' | sed -e 's/Current Conditions://' -e 's/<br \/>//' -e 's/<b>//' -e 's/<\/b>//' -e 's/<BR \/>//' -e 's///' -e 's/<\/description>//'

and 2 scripts, 1 to pull image from Yahoo & one to show the image i pulled.

(i got all this code from Talina: YouTube - CoolEnufForaMac's Channel)

hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.