Snow Leopard SERVER and file sharing

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Anyone know if snow leopard server supports remote fiel sharing? Here's what I'm hoping to do.

We're a church with about 8 people on staff. I'm thinking of getting the mac mini server to serve as our archive of digital assets (videos, slides, logos, etc that we've made). Would it be possible to set this up so that staff members could access these files from their homes to save them a trip into the office? We've primarily got mac users, but a few PC users too.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Since file sharing over SMB or AFP is not a secure method to authenticate and transmit data, I would consider configuring the VPN service on the server to create the security you should want. Once the VPN connection is made from the remote users they would then create the connection to the AFP or SMB shares on the server like they would if they were on the local network.

Need help?
Apple Consultants Network

See if there is a consultant in your area. We are all certified in some aspect of OS X.

Reaction score
Nice plug....

Another option is to setup an FTP server that your users can connect from at their home and down/upload as needed. This may be cheaper and easier than setting up a VPN. Both will require the user to have some computer smarts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X server has VPN services and OS X clients have VPN clients as well which would not incur any additional costs. No harder to setup than an FTP server and also more secure.

An FTP server (also part of OS X server) could certainly serve your purpose. It really comes down to acceptable measures of security and usability.

Ports to forward for L2TP VPN on OSX server are:

http://images.apple.com/server/macosx/docs/Network_Services_Admin_v10.6.pdf

Reaction score
I think the short answer to his question is yes it supports remote file sharing.

Reaction score
I've not played with Server so I don't know what it supports out of the box. If he can do a VPN then why not do a small how to and tell the guy how to set it up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I supplied the Admin Guide for network services on 10.6 server. There is a configuration section in there. Feel free to check it out.

Reaction score
I actually have been playing with the VPN on OSx Server. Very easy to use and implement. OP, if you have questions, please feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you get it up and running.

koz

Reaction score
Re: VPN starting and ending IP

Hi,
Does ending and starting IP need to be provided by ISP or any like 192.168.0.0 for example will do? My server uses a provided DHCP IP by our IT...

Cheers,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You would want them to be private IP ranges.

10.0.x.x
172.16.x.x
192.168.x.x

This is the range of IPs used to give to the VPN clients. You want them to be outside the range of any existing DHCP scopes that are currently on your LAN.

ie if the DHCP service is giving out 192.168.1.100-150 than your VPN service might give out 192.168.200-210

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
please use scp/ssh instead of ftp over an open network

and yes, I know the post pertaining to it is old, but it's worth repeating anyway.

koz

Reaction score
Thanks MacsWork!
So, I can use 192.168.x.x event thought my static IP that's is assigned by our DHCP server is let's say 120.149.x.x? My VPN will work? I guess we don't want to interfere with our DNS setting and so on??

Cheers,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.