Trouble connection to wireless slows internet down no solution?

Reaction score
hey, i am running a macbook 2009 mac OSX and charter Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router WRT320N Wireless router.
my problem:
we have had problems for about a month now and all of the charter people and everyone i know cannot solve this problem.
we have about 6 computer hooked up to our router and 5 of them are windows, without my mac plugged in we get about 36 mbps which is blazing fast for us. I recently noticed that as soon as i plug my mac into our network, be it through airport or ethernet, my connection slows instantly then stops. resetting doesn't work, new ethernets doesn't work, anything i try.
without my computer, its fine. my computer works with any other network, the neighbors, my friends, the library, my schools networks, but at home it ruins the internet for the family until i turn my computer off.
any solutions? is it hardware or maybe software? Iv'e been struggling with this for a month now, and i have some AP deadlines next week so need the internet now.. post if u have this problem or a solution, PLEASE.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of encryption do you have setup on the router? What are the PCs using? WEP, WPA, WPA2? How about the Mac?

Is the router using 802.11N by chance? Is it a dual band router?

If you can't answer any of the above questions, give Charter a call (and good luck with that) to see if they can assist.

Regards.

OP
I
Reaction score
What kind of encryption do you have setup on the router? What are the PCs using? WEP, WPA, WPA2? How about the Mac?

Is the router using 802.11N by chance? Is it a dual band router?

If you can't answer any of the above questions, give Charter a call (and good luck with that) to see if they can assist.

Regards.

ok, WPA WPA2 Mixed mode.
PCs we have 4 windows 2000 or XP and an XBOX 360
mac as OSX 10.5
yes it is dual-band capable and yes, complies with IEEE 802.11n.
within 2 minutes of turning on my Mac, the network shuts down. it used to take longer, but it is progressivly getting worse.
i have an uninstalled security update? maybe thats it, but i cant insatall in becuse it you know, needs the internet.

Reaction score
Try adding DNS servers

System Preferences>Network>airport>advanced

Click DNS and add the two DNS servers.

Solved a similar problem to me on my 2009 iMac.

Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.