Using my MBP 15" Unibody (mid 2009) as a Desktop ?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have finally gotten rid of my old study machine, and am left with a nice samsung monitor. I tended to logmein into my study pc whilst I was at work to set off some downloads, mux some HD content etc whilst it was sitting idle during the day.

now that I do not have it, I am considering plugging my MacBook Pro 15" into the monitor (probably get a Henge Dock when they are released for my model) and leave that at home all day long.

My question is, do you guys (with way more mac experience than me) have any comments on using an MBP for this function, it will essentially have the lid closed all day long so that the lcd screen is not powered, but I will stop the os from putting the laptop to sleep so that it can be available for me to logmein into when I need it (using an Airport Extreme as my router, which denies WOL requests so cannot go that route).

Do you think it will be detrimental to the hardware to always be on the go ? or do you have any reccomendations on a known good power settings that will cope nicely with my requirements ?

ta
Mart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I think they run cooler open and will last longer but thats my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
You will be using your Macbook Pro in Clamshell mode. Your computer will not melt it self, I use my Macbook in clamshell mode and it is extremely cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Wait...I thought that it's impossible to keep the lid closed on the macbook pro's and still keep them running.

Someone fill me in ya? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
The Great Apple,

I believe that when you have an external monitor plugged in as well as a mouse/keyboard you can go to system prefs, detect monitors, select the external and it will give you an option to go into clamshell mode.

But yet, I've used it that way before and it worked out just fine :)

Reaction score
All you have to do for clamshell mode is connect to a external monitor then detect the display. You need a USB keyboard or mouse when u put your MacBook to sleep close the lid then wake it with a USB device and it will come on the external display.

Mine is set up with a USB keyboard, magic mouse and 32" hd tv. If I'm watching hulu or flash in general I open the lid turn the brightness all the way down to keep it running cooler.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.