Right Decision?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz 13" Mbp 8gb ram 500gb hardrive
Im looking at getting my first mac for college next year. Ill just be using it for mostly just basic stuff. Office, school work, surfing ect. Ive decided on the 2.66GHz 13mbp, with a 500gb harddrive. I was originally leaning towards the 15 inch mbp but i strongly prefer the size of the thirteen, and decided i wouldnt really see much of the performance increase with the I5 given what im using it for. I also plan on getting the three year warrenty/protection. I guess im just curious if you guys think this is a good decision, and if ill be happy with it. Im new to the mac world, but love using my friends and intend to become more mac savy. Feel free to make any suggestions at all. thanks

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And i know viruses are far far less prevelant on macs, but do i still need to run a virus/malware program? And if so, what are the best ones?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Im looking at getting my first mac for college next year. Ill just be using it for mostly just basic stuff. Office, school work, surfing ect. Ive decided on the 2.66GHz 13mbp, with a 500gb harddrive. I was originally leaning towards the 15 inch mbp but i strongly prefer the size of the thirteen, and decided i wouldnt really see much of the performance increase with the I5 given what im using it for. I also plan on getting the three year warrenty/protection. I guess im just curious if you guys think this is a good decision, and if ill be happy with it. Im new to the mac world, but love using my friends and intend to become more mac savy. Feel free to make any suggestions at all. thanks

Well, it's a solid choice for someone who characterizes their needs as "just basic stuff". So, I think it's a good decision, but ultimately you're buying it for you, not for me.

And i know viruses are far far less prevelant on macs, but do i still need to run a virus/malware program? And if so, what are the best ones?

Non-existent is more like it. There are a couple of trojans (literally, 2) and they are found in pirated software and as a "video player" download on certain less-than-reputable websites. Neither are really of concern if you use just a bit of common sense when downloading software, and assuming you don't dabble in software piracy. They're even less of concern since OS X 10.6 has measures that block them from being run.

In short, I don't recommend anti-virus software for Macs. But I do recommend the following approach:

1. Before you install any software downloaded from the Internet, make sure you trust the source of the software. Also, make sure you know what the program is and what it does.
2. If you install any software download from the Internet, be particularly cautious about installing it if you are prompted for your password during the installation (this means that the software wants to modify system directories or files).
3. Turn on your OS X firewall in the Security preferences pane. Go into Advanced and enable "Stealth Mode". This makes your computer invisible on any network you might happen to connect to, and therefore will make it that much more difficult for a motivated hacker to locate to do any damage to.
4. Keep your software and operating system up-to-date. When prompted to update a software package, particularly things like Java, Flash and other web-enabled technologies.

Reaction score

You don't need it, but when you get to school you might for the wireless access at school. My school has a blue socket system that scans for an up to date anti virus on all computer so i have to have one. Before you add one check with the IT at your college.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Qualtiy posts guys, thanks. Bump

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
For what you've listed, the 13 inch MacBook Pro probably sounds right. I got a 13 inch model too, and I do basic work, surf, email, some small photo editing, videos, and listen to music and it serves me just fine. As for anti-virus, I haven't installed any on my Mac.

I was told it's not necessary and it's by choice, but honestly I don't do risky stuff on the internet so I didn't think it was needed for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
13" sounds perfect :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im still second guessing my choice for some reason:( would there be any benefit for me to have the i5 and better graphics with the dedicated memory?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Not for what you described in your OP. I have a 2007 core 2 duo iMac with a lower processor speed, and it works great using more intensive applications. The 13" is perfect for your needs, and the core 2 duo's are still plenty strong.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
conveyor critical

does anyone know why you cant get a 500gb hardrive@ 7200rpm in the 13 mbp? you can in the 15 and 17 though..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it is a heat issue, because while a 2.5" drive will still fit in the slot, it won't have enough ventilation (especially at 7200rpm).

However, not 100% sure...

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah sounds logical. decided to go with the 2.44ghz didnt think the .26ghz increase is worth it. you wouldnt really see much improvement correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, even more so because your just doing basic stuff. The difference would literally not be noticeable.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just made the purchase and im stoked on it! Ended up with the 2.4Ghz 13 mbp with 8gb of ram and 500gb @5400rmp hardrive
Anything recomended for the first charge, i know with alot of batteries you are supposed to charge them a full 24 hrs to get the full potential out of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.