iMac 2.0GHz G5 20-inch (ALS)

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing one of these units from a guy this afternoon and this will be my first MAC so I am a bit uneasy. My PC desktop recently crashed for the last time and I just don't want to go through that anymore and decided we would bring a MAC into the household, but I am not sure if this unit is what I need. We basically only will use it as a home computer for internet, email, some adobe document building, amature photography and a amature music production.

How do these units stack up against the newer units? The person selling it has upgraded the RAM to 2GB and is installing all of the quite a bit of programs for me but the price is still higher than I could find another PC for (roughly $750) Is this a good price for this type of unit? Any info on this iMAC would be helpful.

Thank You

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Edit: if you're still out there and haven't gone off and bought it already, let us know.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Bobtomay, since it's a 20" and 2.0Ghz, it's the model before the last iMac G5 which was the iSight with a 2.1Ghz CPU. Dang even that is over 4 years old now. I paid $1700 then and now my last generation iSight g5 is worth $350-400 max. :D

That older G5 iMac is not worth that much at all like you said.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm tempted to delete the above post in case he already went and bought it. I'd hate to make someone depressed over their new toy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My vote would be for the oldest Intel unit if money is tight.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'm tempted to delete the above post in case he already went and bought it. I'd hate to make someone depressed over their new toy.

I know what you are saying but you tried to help.

Colin, agreed. The very first iMac Core Duo would be a way better machine. I am not sure how low they are cost wise but by now I am sure you can find one for that price or lower.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or wait a month or 2 and get the C2D 2.16 Intel

OP
B
Reaction score
Guys thanks for your input I didn't buy it had a gut feeling and the guy keeps s finding things to fix before I come get it. I think I am going to look at one of the intel machines and see what I can find. Worst comes to worst i'll go for a new one but I am struggling with the price.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's the one I deleted yesterday.

No, no, no. That is definitely too much money. Like way too much imho. Let him find some other sucker. And whatever software he's loading it up with is worth nothing without the discs. I would never advise someone I know to buy that thing as their first Mac, unless they were getting it for about $300-350, and then only if they couldn't afford anything else. Let someone that knows Macs and are fully aware of what they're getting buy it.

That thing is 5 years old. Has a processor that's been discontinued. Many software developers are discontinuing updating their apps for it and many of the newer apps will not run on it. It will not run the current version of OS X either. 

For $600 you can get the current model Mac Mini, full 12 month warranty, same Ram, graphics card probably similar and a CPU that's probably a good 50% faster. Connect it up to your existing monitor and you're good to go.

I really hope you waited to get an answer before you went and bought it.

Added

Also of note, a lot of Mac owners think their machines are worth a "lot" more than they really are. While imho, they are worth more than a similarly specced and aged Win machine, they're not worth that much more. At $750, you should be able to get a 2 year old iMac vs a 5 yr old one. It's going to be hard to find though, either on eBay or Craigslist.

If money is tight, your best bet might be to check out the refurbs at apple.com. They come with full warranties and everything else a new machine gets except the fancy box. Don't recall seeing a single person regret getting a refurb instead of new in the last 3 years.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Guys thanks for your input I didn't buy it had a gut feeling and the guy keeps s finding things to fix before I come get it. I think I am going to look at one of the intel machines and see what I can find. Worst comes to worst i'll go for a new one but I am struggling with the price.

I found quite a few 20" Core Duo's on ebay. Just be careful and be sure to check the users feedback. A couple I saw were less than that person wanted for that iMac G5 you were looking at!

OP
B
Reaction score
reprehend concepts

I appreciate this post and glad you reposted it because it saved not only me but also will probably help someone else that is in my situation. I definitely am glad I posted on this forum before going to get this unit and maybe that's why he could not seem to get the computer prepared over the last couple days (It was a sign). I have been looking at ebay and craigslist the past few days and think I am going to follow your advice and go with either the refurbished one from apple or a new one from the local store. Thank again for your and the other posters input saved me from spending too much money on the wrong machine and probably hating the Brand later for a mistake I made.

Here's the one I deleted yesterday.

No, no, no. That is definitely too much money. Like way too much imho. Let him find some other sucker. And whatever software he's loading it up with is worth nothing without the discs. I would never advise someone I know to buy that thing as their first Mac, unless they were getting it for about $300-350, and then only if they couldn't afford anything else. Let someone that knows Macs and are fully aware of what they're getting buy it.

That thing is 5 years old. Has a processor that's been discontinued. Many software developers are discontinuing updating their apps for it and many of the newer apps will not run on it. It will not run the current version of OS X either.*

For $600 you can get the current model Mac Mini, full 12 month warranty, same Ram, graphics card probably similar and a CPU that's probably a good 50% faster. Connect it up to your existing monitor and you're good to go.

I really hope you waited to get an answer before you went and bought it.

Added

Also of note, a lot of Mac owners think their machines are worth a "lot" more than they really are. While imho, they are worth more than a similarly specced and aged Win machine, they're not worth that much more. At $750, you should be able to get a 2 year old iMac vs a 5 yr old one. It's going to be hard to find though, either on eBay or Craigslist.

If money is tight, your best bet might be to check out the refurbs at apple.com. They come with full warranties and everything else a new machine gets except the fancy box. Don't recall seeing a single person regret getting a refurb instead of new in the last 3 years.

OP
B
Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks again Last night I decided to bite the bullet and visit the Apple Store with my wife; we cam home with a new 21.5 iMAC. After thinking it over I fugured i would go with a new one with Applecare and have a few years of not worrying about the computer dying on me. It seems to have more than enough for what we actually use it for right now and caple of handling what we may throw at it in the future. So again thanks for everyones input and hope to chat with you all more on this site.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Great choice. Enjoy your new machine and stay tuned to these forums for any questions you may have.

BTW, it's always nice to have the wife along when making that big purchase!
;D

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice machine. Should get yourself a few years service from it.

Make sure to check out the stickies in the Switchers forum. I liked eric's and while a few years old now, still some good stuff there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good move - enjoy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.