iPod won't appear in startup disk menu!

T

tuker

How do I get my iPod to show up in the start up disk menu so I can use it to boot from? I tried carbon copy cloner and that didn't help also. I also held down alt when turning on my computer and it didn't detect the ipod also that is connected in the firewire port. what do i do? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
have you installed OS X on it? You will need to have a system folder installed on it to boot from it.
Just attach the iPod to your Mac. If iTunes 2 doesn't pop open on its own, launch it. In the iPod Preferences window, select the Enable FireWire Disk Use option.

Now restart your Mac. Once your iPod has mounted, insert an OS installation disc (either Mac OS 9.2 or OS X) and run the installer. When the installer asks where you'd like to install the operating system, navigate to the iPod and click on Continue to step through the rest of the installation. When you want to boot from your iPod, plug it into your Mac. Once it's mounted, select it as the start-up disk in OS 9's Startup Disk control panel or in OS X's Startup Disk system preference. Restart your Mac to boot from the iPod.

OP
T

tuker

I'm doing this so i can install tiger to my ibook since my ibook cant read dvds so should I do anything different? thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Well for one,...Carbon Copy Cloner isn't working in Tiger yet. You'll need to use Disk Utility.

D3v1L80Y is right on with step one of what you want to do. Once Tiger is installed step two is plugging it into the iBook and booting to the iPod and using Disk Utility to restore the image from the iPod to the iBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.