New iBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33GHz G4 14", 60GB, 768MB RAM, Airport, Bluetooth, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
Hi everyone,

My sister just bought a new iBook last night through apple.com.

The specs page says that the iBook has "Mac OS X version 10.3 Panther" installed, but I actually thought that Apple would ship Tiger with all of their systems since it came out. Maybe the website is just outdated?

Let me know what's up, thanks! :mac:

X

xthisisRomancex

yes it will ship with 10.4 "tiger"
It might not be insalled you might just have the media an u have to install it your self.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome! Thanks for the quick replies.

I think it would be great to get the Tiger DVD. (It is a DVD, right?) With Windows PCs you just get a stupid "restore disk," as I'm sure you already know.

I'll much rather clean-install the OS myself anyway! I kinda feel better when I do it myself instead of someone doing it for me at the store.

I really have no experience with Apple, so I have to ask, do they always ship the actual install disk of the OS? What's their way of doing that?

My brother got an iMac recently and of course, Tiger was pre-installed when it arrived... I never asked him if he got the actual OS CD/DVD or not.

- vr04

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
yea I ordered a powerbook about 2 and half weeks ago, mine came with tiger preinstalled and it came with the install disks for tiger.

A

amyrinth

I just got one yesterday. Same as PRT, mine came with it preinstalled and the discs.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great, thanks for letting me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
tell your sister good luck with her ibook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
I got my new Powerbook last week and it came with Panther on it and a upgrade DVD for Tiger. I had to do a format and install. Its not a big deal for a new system though.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks PowerBookG4. :)

Acill, was it just an upgrade, or a FULL version of Tiger? I guess if you formatted it must have been the full.

- vr04

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
No it was just the update AFAIK, I have Tiger I bought for my G5 and used that. The DVD was marked as upgrade DVD though.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I'll have to wait and see.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's here!!!

Yessir, my iBook finally came. I'm very happy, satisfied, fine, superdandified and good, too!

One question, though: Should I install the Airport Express software that came with the base? It works without it... is it an update or something?

Let me know!

Oh, and yeah... screw Windows. I'm sold! :)

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
vr04 said:
It's here!!!

Yessir, my iBook finally came. I'm very happy, satisfied, fine, superdandified and good, too!

One question, though: Should I install the Airport Express software that came with the base? It works without it... is it an update or something?

Let me know!

Oh, and yeah... screw Windows. I'm sold! :)

The disks in the box are just copies of everything already installed.

I bought my iBook in PC World yesterday, I asked the spotty oik if it came with Tiger installed and he said he'd have to go out back and check as all the boxes were "double sealed".

A few minutes later he returned with a more senior oik (less spotty) in tow and they both nodded sagely and said yes Tiger is in it.

When I got home and checked the box (which was no longer "double sealed" or even "single sealed") I found that they had stuffed a Tiger package in the box along with the Panther disks (they did it untidily so I could tell it hadn't come from Apple like that), Panther 10.3.7 was pre-installed so I just installed Tiger over the top.

It's quite handy really as I already have a 5-licence Tiger pack so I can give the spare Tiger disk to my pal who only has Panther on his Mini.

All in all I quite like the iBook but it is a bit heavier than I expected it to be.

Amen-Moses

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My install was very tidy as far as I can tell. Tiger was already up and running, out of the box. I also got the Tiger DVD. I'm very glad I bought directly from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
is the ibook heavier then the powerbook? I don't find the powerbook to be heavy at all.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
PowerBookG4 said:
is the ibook heavier then the powerbook? I don't find the powerbook to be heavy at all.

I think the PowerBook is lighter because of the aluminium construction, the iBook is a substantial lump of polycarbinate.

Amen-Moses

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't mind the weight. It feels pretty robust actually.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.