Power Mac G5 Fan/Overheating Issue

Reaction score
Hey gang!

By looking on the internet i have found a few threads that mention some issues with overheating for the PowerMac but I have not been able to cure this problem and was hoping a straight forward forum could help. I have the dual 2.3 PowerMac G5 and am having issues with temperature control. I have installed iStat and i as i open more than one program I watch the temperature skyrocket. Eventually if i do not close these programs down the computer will freeze, the red light will come on and i have to do a hard shut down. The fans do not seem to come on to combat the temperature increase however I have done everything i can think of from cleaning out the fans, cleaning the connectors, and making sure all connectors are working. When I do restart the computer after freezing, all the fans come on at once to flush out the hot air and the startup takes much longer than normal. I would really appreciate any suggestions or information that you can give me. And of course since i am a newbie if this subject has been covered pasting a link is helpful as well. I did a search on the forum but didnt come up with much.

thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You probably need to do a thermal calibration on those CPUs. See the following thread: LINK

Also, dig around on the web... you should be able to download a copy of the service manual for your machine. That also has instructions on how to perform the thermal calibration.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.