Need help installing 4850 on imac i7

Reaction score
Hi I uninstalled my ati radeon 4850 using device manager on bootcamp because I wanted to get catalyst control centre to work but now i dont know how to install the card. It is no longer listed in device manager! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!! I am running vista btw.

OP
W
Reaction score
ATI Catalyst Doesn't Install

Hi,

I know the problem and I know the solution but I am unsure how to execute the solution. I have downloaded ATI Catalyst many times and it doesnt install the program. This is because it doesnt work with the bootcamp drivers. I need to install the vista drivers for my HD 4850 on my iMac i7. Heres the link to the solution:Solved: Problem installing ATI Catalyst Control Center! - Tech Support Guy Forums

I need help executing the solution. I just spent hours trying to install my card after uninstalling it so step by step answers would be appreciated. I am running vista via bootcamp.

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged duplicate threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I had Vista set up in Bootcamp previously and ran into problems getting the drivers and Catalyst Control Center to install as well. With the default Bootcamp drivers, I was experiencing major graphic corruption in Windows and needed to update the drivers.

So, I downloaded the ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series drivers and installed, but still had the corruption. Poking around, I discovered that only the Catalyst Download Manager had been installed, not the drivers or anything else. So, after several attempts with no success, the light bulb finally went off.

I remembered that the iMac is basically a really big notebook in a fancy case. So, I downloaded the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4800 Series drivers and gave them a go. The GPU was detected correctly and the drivers installed and no more screen corruption or video driver crashes.

You just have to make sure you get the correct drivers, since the iMac uses the Radeon Mobility GPU....I assume so anyway. But, that's what worked for me to get the ATI drivers installed in Vista under Bootcamp.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Great post chef. I probably would not have thought of that (maybe after pulling out what remains of my hair). You're correct about the iMac ATI series of GPU processors, they are of the mobility family. Not sure if the nVidia chipsets are though?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
Pulling what hair I have out is what finally made the light bulb go off (you can see from my avatar that there isn't too much left). I was about to give up on it, and figured it was worth a shot to try the Mobility drivers.

OP
W
Reaction score
No ATI Catalyst Control Centre in Bootcamp

Hello, I have an iMac i7 with an ATI HD 4850 with Boot Camp installed. I am using Vista Home Premium 32 bit on Boot Camp. I cannot install ATI Catalyst Control Center or my card. I download it and the installation is successful but the prgram is not actually installed. I think this is because of the bootcamp drivers interfering with CCC. I read somewhere that it works with vista drivers installed and bootcamp display drivers removed. I may provide a link later on if needed. Does anyone know how to get ATI Catalyst Control Centre to work with Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you download the regular Radeon HD 4800 series driver package or the Radeon HD Mobility 4800 series package? The iMac uses the Mobility series GPU and the installation program will not recognize the GPU if you do not use the Mobility driver package, and thus it will not install the drivers or the Catalyst Control Center.

Here is a link to the download page for the correct drivers for your iMac ATI Catalyst? Mobility Display Driver .

Hope this helps.

OP
W
Reaction score
I downloaded the regular ones I think. I clicked on Windows Vista 32-bit Edition, Radeon, Radeon HD 4xxx Series PCIe. I'm trying your link right now. Thanks for the quick reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I pulled my hair out trying to get the drivers to work in Vista. I had originally downloaded the regular drivers and had the same problem you are having. When I used the Mobility drivers, everything installed correctly and the graphics corruption I was having went away.

OP
W
Reaction score
Sorry to bother you but I now have black boxes around the edge of my screen. Only at the side measuring about 20cm. I can live with it but would it be harmful to my computer. I am running at the native res for the 27 inch lcd. 2550x1440. I can still see my shortcuts in the black parts though. Just the desktop vista wallpaper is shrunk.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: merged duplicate threads - again.

OP
W
Reaction score
I fixed it now. Clicked on desktop wallpaper and it just reset itself. It was only the wallpaper that was shrunk not the whole screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.