Cannot Restore Classic iPod 160GB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Imac, 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3
Ok, so I've migrated my ipod a couple of times back and forth between windows and my mac and now whenever I plug in to either operating system it says the ipod is corrupted and needs to be restored.

I follow all the steps on screen but halfway through restoring I get an error 1430 message. My iPod still has all of the songs I had on it before but obviously I can longer sync it and hence add new songs to it.

I would be really grateful if anyone could help out with what's going. I haven't really found anything that's been very helpful on the internet.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the drive file system has become corrupted due to the migration back and forth between Win and Mac.

Try these ideas to recover your file system. LINK

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for that link although I have already tried the first 4 methods, some of them do not apply as I'm trying to restore it my mac and not to windows. The fifth option sounds the most promising although the software required is for windows. Is there any equivalent for the Mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, I saw that. I haven't found equivalent software for the Mac but that doesn't mean there isn't any. I ran into the same problem as you on an older iPod but it cleared up after several reloads of the firmware from Apple.

One fellow on the web said he no longer uses the Apple firmware on his iPods but instead uses a special distro of Linux called "Podzilla". I'm not endorsing using this but it's an interesting read - and for folks who have older iPods (like me) it may be worth experimenting. No more problems when moving from Win to Mac. :)

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it may no longer be a problem migrating back & forth between windows & a Mac since I my Mac has decided to screw up :/ But anyway...

I downloaded that HP software as suggested in the link but it's saying that it's write-protected :/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.