AIM Passwords and such...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
A while ago, I let my friend log on to his AIM account as a guest on Adium. He informed me a few days later that he had somehow gotten my passwords because of some ill-explained thing attached to his account. He's pretty tech-savvy (on the Windows side), so it's somewhat believeable, but I'm still not 100% sure he wasn't shooting the bull entirely.

A few questions:
1. Is there actually a thing that will do this? If so, what and how?

2. Is there any way (other than not letting anyone on or near my computer) to prevent this from happening. I use Little Snitch, but I leave it on for Adium since it needs to connect, and I'm not network-smart enough to sniff out what might be harmful.

3. Is there any way I can do this on a Mac/on my accounts? **Not that I want people's passwords, just curious. Honest. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well if he really had your passwords, then asking him to tell you what they are would at least have confirmed that he wasn't full of it. Personally, I think he is. There have only been a couple trojans found that can get installed on OS X, and they are disguised as legit software on piracy sources. If you haven't been pirating software, then you have nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
somehow gotten my passwords
Passwords for which - Admin? AIM? He was using your computer to log into his account - right? Did u let him use a Guest Account?

OP
Corbab
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
Especially after lifeisabeach's comment, I'm pretty sure he was BSing. All I did was let him log on to AIM with the "Connect a Guest Account" feature on Adium. It was just mentioned casually, and he's a good friend, and I've changed my password a few times after that, so I don't worry about my security, I was just curious.

Thanks for the responses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.