Should i buy an iPad

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm still on the fence about buying an iPad. I'm planning to head over to Best Buy to check it out but wanted to know some thoughts from the masses about what it could possibly do for me. I have a mac mini controlling my tv/media center, an iMac for audio projects and a macbook for general computing. So what extra things would the functionality of an iPad bring me? What kinds of things are other users doing with it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06ghz 4gb ram 1tb hdd, 15" Macbook Pro 320gb HDD 4gb ram, iPhone 4 32gb, and iPad 3G 64gb
Awesome

Don't be hesitant to buy an iPad. Just keep in mind that it most likely won't replace your MacBook. iPad is for media consumption and for social networking. I'm sure you know this but you can watch movies, tv shows, podcasts, listen to music, browse the web, play games, view photos, email, perform complex word processing tasks, and more. If you download a lot of files, then iPad may not be for you. It's really for the casual computer user and media consumer and can be used for light content creation. I love my iPad and I'm sure the other 10 million+ people that have one love theirs as well. What exactly would you like to do with your iPad if you got one?

OP
Espo
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. It was helpful.

As for what I would do with it. Well that's pretty much what I'm trying to sort out. To be quite honest I'm not really sure which is why I'm hesitant. I'm not one to drop 500+ bucks on something that I'm not sure what I'll do with it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd suggest you not buy one unless you have a niche it can fill in your own lifestyle. You're the only one that can figure that out. And that's really all it does is fill a niche. It doesn't do anything that any of us just can't live without at this point (well, except for maybe the Apple fanboys). You don't have to have the new toy just because it's hot or it seems as if everyone else has one. I don't know anyone offline that has one aside from myself, and knowing their lifestyle, there's probably only a couple of those that I would recommend it to.

Edit: just wanted to add- ain't givin mine up.

Reaction score
Honestly, you won't really find out what it can do for you till you actually have one. I was hesitant too, but I started thinking about more and more things I could do with it. For example I use it at home to watch movies/shows a bit everywhere, browse internet, etc, even tho I have a MBP. I take it to work to take notes of my meetings, organize what I have to do, etc. I use it on the train to read comics and/or books, and later I will use it also to write (I am a writer).

My point is, the iPad is a bit like an iPhone. When I first got my iPhone I didn't really need it, but I wanted to have one, just like you want to have an iPad. Now I couldn't leave without my iPhone because I find it more and more useful. Well yes I bought an iPad, because I use it for different things. With it I don't have to bring my portfolio to take notes, PLUS my comics/books, PLUS my other notepad when I want to write. I have it all on the ipad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PC Baby!
Just do it, you have a couple of weeks to take it back if it's not for you.... we are not you, only you can try it out and see what you think.....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you're unsure...and if you can't afford the $500 right now...then wait until you are sure!:)

Or visit your local Apple Store (hopefully you have one) a million times & mess around with one for hours.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook5,2, iPad 16 gb, iPhone 3GS 32 gb, Iphone 4
skip it, sounds like your set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
Hi everyone,

I'm still on the fence about buying an iPad. I'm planning to head over to Best Buy to check it out but wanted to know some thoughts from the masses about what it could possibly do for me. I have a mac mini controlling my tv/media center, an iMac for audio projects and a macbook for general computing. So what extra things would the functionality of an iPad bring me? What kinds of things are other users doing with it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I say get one... um, if you can find one that is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.