Cleaning mac OS - white

Reaction score
hi guys,

right need to rack ur brains a bit here!
i have a macbook (white one) and funnily enuf i have a pool table which i use usually before i use my mac lol. BUT!, becos i have a red cloth n red chalk, it seems to have got onto the whiteness of the mac and wont come off! i seen cleaning products but i need one that will get rid of this tough stain! i darent use cleaning products as to how dangerous they cud be. Anyone no any tricks or cleaning solution that will get it off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
First off, try using proper grammar and spelling so people can understand you.

Secondly, if the stains are on the bottom, try using a soapy cloth. If that doesn't work, put a little alcohol on the cloth and carefully rub the stained area with that. But be very careful not to get it on the keyboard or near the screen.

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok Sorry,

the stains are on the area next to the scroll pad, on the right hand side, where you would normally put your hand. The keyboard is fine apart from the space bar which has a slight red marking on it. I will try that, or maybe white spirit?? or just stick to alcohol?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Probably alcohol. But be very carful. Good Luck :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Be careful what solvent you use to clean the plastic housing on your MacBook! Some solvents react with some plastics...and the end result of this reaction is the plastic will become "sticky or tacky" which gives the plastic an appearance like it "melted".

Generally speaking...when using a cleaner on a surface (your MacBook) for the first time, you're supposed to test it in an inconspicuous area...to see if anything negative happens. But in this case (with a MacBook)...there probably isn't an area that you REALLY want to "test" on.

I would try to use a damp rag with some soap first. If that doesn't do it...then try something like the alcohol. If you must use the alcohol...wipe the area to be cleaned very quickly. Have a damp cloth (water) nearby so you can immediately wipe the area that you just wiped with the alcohol. This will help "neutralize" the effect of the alcohol...and minimize any possible damage to the plastic.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Be careful what solvent you use to clean the plastic housing on your MacBook! Some solvents react with some plastics...and the end result of this reaction is the plastic will become "sticky or tacky" which gives the plastic an appearance like it "melted".

Very true! I specifically remember a post by a fellow who stated he used "Goof Off" to clean dirt from a white plastic (poly-carbonite) MacBook and wound up ruining the finish. So yes, be careful what you use.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try using a soapy cloth. If that doesn't work, put a little alcohol on the cloth and carefully rub the stained area with that. But be very careful not to get it on the keyboard or near the screen.

I would try to use a damp rag with some soap first. If that doesn't do it...then try something like the alcohol. If you must use the alcohol...wipe the area to be cleaned very quickly.

already said that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Why did you post this in the desktops forum? The MacBook is a laptop... even if you use it on a desk.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
already said that...

Actually you didn't "say that"...since you are quoting people's posts out of context!:(

You said try alcohol...but unfortunately you mentioned no warnings about the possible downsides or risks of using alcohol!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Even if you "already said that" does not mean no one can say it again. If someone says it again that means it's probably a good suggestion. In this case some warnings were added to it. Better than not saying anything at all. :)

Try mr clean magic eraser. The one that doesn't foam up. Not sure how good it would be with this problem but it does not hurt to try it. That's what I used for my white MacBook with dirt stains.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.